A small city the size of LA


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Xi'an is a pretty amazing place, it was once the largest city in the world. The silk road began here and headed out west. We spent that last two days seeing the historical sites here and today we are planning on taking a long taxi ride out of the city and getting into some nature. There are five sacred Daoist peaks about 75 miles east where, if you have the endurance, you can climb to the summit. Or, if you don't have the endurance, there is a cable car.. damn foreigners!!

I think I met the nicest group of people I have ever met during our journey to the Terracotta Warriors. Rachel and decided to take the city bus again (not for the weak of heart) and we ended up, somehow, on the 603 when we were really looking for the 306. We take the bus an hour through the city when all of a sudden the bus driver pulls over and everyone gets out, including the driver! We sat in the bus for about 20 min. trying to figure out what was happening, we didn't feel to out of place because a group of three chinese kids were sitting there too. Well, after awhile we tried our best (thank you Mandarin phrase book) to communicate with them that we want to see the Warriors. They understood and motioned for us to go with them. Hesitantly.. we did. They led us back to where we started (one hour), led us to another bus, paid our fares, and road with us all the way to the Warriors (1.5 hours). When we got there the guy led me to the ticket booth, told the lady in chinese I wanted a student ticket for entrance, than shook my hand and he got back on the bus for home. These kids went five hours out of their way to help us! Pretty amazing experience.

Last night we had our first experience at a local club. I will tell you what, it was WAY cooler than anything SLO has to offer. It was the funniest thing, we were the only whities and everyone was dancin' and clubbin' and every single song was American! Silly Chinese 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Great Wild Goose PagodaThe Great Wild Goose Pagoda
The Great Wild Goose Pagoda

The name looks a whole lot cooler in Chinese!
The Small Wild Goose PagodaThe Small Wild Goose Pagoda
The Small Wild Goose Pagoda

If you look really hard you can see me on the bridge


29th June 2007

Sweet blog bro, I dig it!
Sweet blog bro, I dig it! Love, Kirk

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb