#63 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
December 31st 2006
Published: December 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Star of Taizhou Traffic Award Star of Taizhou Traffic Award Star of Taizhou Traffic Award

The front page of the Taizhou Newspaper on the 25th of Dec. 2006 has a photo of this crazy American directing traffic at a major Taizhou intersection. In an effort to educate the citizen on better traffic behavior, they asked me to become a spokes-person.
There hasn't been much time to think about being away from home this Christmas, and every day of this holiday weekend 2006 in Taizhou, China and at Taizhou Teachers College has been filled with surprising and spontanious activities. A kalaidescope of photos taken over the past few days is the better way to share all of the fun of my first Christmas in China.

Thoughtful and touching efforts were made every day by the College, including Christmas-Monday off, to provide us a wonderful holiday away from home. "Thank you"!! EVERYONE at Taizhou Teachers College, especially Mr. Xu, Arthur, Ms. Fan, Vivian, Sue and Stephanie, for the many cheers, and for making me feel so much part of the Campus Family. Everyones kindness made me appreciate my stay here so much more, and I'm grateful. I will enthusiastically remember my first Christmas in Taizhou, always.

A special blessing was: Being comforted and surrounded by my 370 gentle students, through whom I could imitate the joy and enthusiasm of sharing this strange Western holiday in China called Christmas, as if with 20 year old "children". It was easy to feel their appreciation, knowing I had come so far from home to
Ms. Fan, Dean of the English Department...Ms. Fan, Dean of the English Department...Ms. Fan, Dean of the English Department...

surprises with Christmas greetings and a special gift.
spend my time with them. The Christmas holiday also seemed of greater significance to them, having Western teachers on their campus, though their concept of this Western-Christian tradition and their understanding of its meaning is quite simplistic.

The festival is not recognized so much in its religious significance, but the persona of Santa has arrived in China and is now successfully accepted as China's spokesman for this proven opportunity to adopt a rather capitalistic Western trend,and of course to lure money from the pockets of China's growing number of affluent citizens. It has arrived as another reason to spoil each family's "one little emperor" with gifts, glitz, and mountains of attention, while food-consumption keeps restaurants, banquet halls, and hotels struggling with the demand for space and exotic dishes of every kind.

I hope you injoy the following 3 pages of images of "My First Christmas in China".
To each a peaceful and prosperous New Year 2007 !!!! :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Stephanie, my friend and a young and so capable English teacher...Stephanie, my friend and a young and so capable English teacher...
Stephanie, my friend and a young and so capable English teacher...

...from Kansas City, proudly displays the beautiful red-knot behind her, a gift from Dean Fan and the English Department.
Two Happy SantasTwo Happy Santas
Two Happy Santas

Santas greet guests at the entrance of the nights festivities, which turned out to be quite a "disco"-Christmas.
Hotel Christmas Scene Hotel Christmas Scene
Hotel Christmas Scene

Inside the lobby, we are greeted with this Christmas display.
Chrismas TreeChrismas Tree
Chrismas Tree

The modern hotel lobby, location of the banquet, offers Christmas greetings.
Arthur sports a happy Christmas smile.Arthur sports a happy Christmas smile.
Arthur sports a happy Christmas smile.

He sends everyone his best holiday wishes.
Vivian, our gentle support for our needsVivian, our gentle support for our needs
Vivian, our gentle support for our needs

Vivian is one of our head English teachers, a kind friend, and only days away from her wedding on January 6th, 2007 :-)
Christmas ChildChristmas Child
Christmas Child

"Another Paparazzi wanting my picture??"
Mama and Papa...Mama and Papa...
Mama and Papa...

... are quite eager to display their pride and joy.
Children of TaizhouChildren of Taizhou
Children of Taizhou

"Where's my present? No present, no photo!!"
new friendsnew friends
new friends

Wife, twin sons, and daugther of Mr. Xu, our assistant principal, love having their photo taken. There might be a question about the one child policy here?
Hiding....Hiding....
Hiding....

...while waiting for Santa.
Arthur's smile gets bigger....Arthur's smile gets bigger....
Arthur's smile gets bigger....

... as the evening "rocks" on.
Christmas count-down...Christmas count-down...
Christmas count-down...

... as the fire-works on stage announce the arrival of a gift bringing Santa, whose photo I deleted by accident. Sorry
AnticipationAnticipation
Anticipation

"Oh, I hope Santa sees me !! "
My collegue Sue from Australia...My collegue Sue from Australia...
My collegue Sue from Australia...

...is all smiles about the food.
Jingle Bells...Jingle Bells...
Jingle Bells...

A special Christmas-serenade for our table.
Christmas toastChristmas toast
Christmas toast

Next to me is Vivian and the Xu family.
Vivian will be married on January 6th, ...Vivian will be married on January 6th, ...
Vivian will be married on January 6th, ...

and enjoys her last days as a "single girl" with us.


31st December 2006

I love to see that you're doing well in China. I can just imagine how much your students enjoy you as a teacher and as a friend. I hope you have a great new year and I hope to see you again in the future.
31st December 2006

heyo
Happy Holidays and a great New Year Schneider! Glad you're not feeling sad or homesick during this holiday season. Though we sure do miss you tons. You're turning into quite the shutter bug though. Not that that's a bad thing. I love seeing your photos. Keep them coming and I'm glad you're doing so well over there.
1st January 2007

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
well i just wanted to pass by and say merry late christmas! and i hope you had a wonderful new year! i want you to know that i am happy you are having fun over there and that i can't wait to see you when you come! MUCH LOVE MARU
3rd January 2007

Hey Mr. Schneider! Just popping by to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. We're all thinking of you and we can't wait to see you! Happy Holidays!!!!!

Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 135; dbt: 0.2306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb