#62 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Merry Christmas 2006 :-)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou
December 20th 2006
Published: December 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Happy Pink Christmas to one and all from China.Happy Pink Christmas to one and all from China.Happy Pink Christmas to one and all from China.

Representations of Christmas trees greet the consumer at the entrance of the stores.
THE 2006 CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS HAVE ARRIVED QUICKLY, AND I OFTEN PONDER THE 7 MONTHS OF GALLOPING ADVENTURES IN CHINA. THESE DAYS SEEM THE MORE DIFFICULT, AWAY FROM THE FAMILIARITY OF TRADITIONAL FESTIVITIES WITH OUR LOVED ONES. IT IS WITH GREAT AFFECTION THAT I EXPRESS THESE SENTIMENTS:

"TO MY SUPPORTIVE AND LOVING FAMILY, TO MY KIND AND GENTLE FRIENDS FROM SO MANY COUNTRIES, AND TO ALL MY WONDERFUL COLLEGUES AND STUDENTS, PAST AND PRESENT, ALL WHO HAVE BROUGHT SO MUCH JOY, HAPPINESS, AND EXCITEMENT INTO MY BLESSED LIFE: I MISS YOU EVERY DAY, AND SEND YOU GREETINGS FROM TAIZHOU, CHINA ON THIS HOLIDAY. NOT A DAY PASSES, WHEN I DON'T REMIND MYSELF, HOW EACH OF YOU HAS MADE MY LIFE'S JOURNEY A GIFT, FOR WHICH THE EXPRESSION OF GRATITUDE IS LIMITED BY LANGUAGE AND WORDS. THE DISTANCE HAS ONLY INCREASED MY AFFECTION FOR YOU, AND THE HOPE THAT THE NEW YEAR WILL BRING MORE LOVE TO ONE AND ALL, AND PEACE TO OUR TROUBLED WORLD. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!"

====================

"Long-Johns" have not been part of my wardrope for decades, but the cold has forced me to invest in some extra-warm, long-underwear, to combat the chills of my first
Christmas has become a happy time...Christmas has become a happy time...Christmas has become a happy time...

... now even in Taizhou, China, at the new Golden Eagle Department Stores.
winter at Taizhou Teachers College. I had forgotten what a cold Christmas is all about; here it is a daily reminder. Since the students and teachers at TTC are braving not only cold classrooms, but also unheated dorms, they are not about to see me as a "whimpy" American. My endurance level is adjusting!!!

Christmas-time is quickly being adopted in the new China, where this holiday is less recognized for its history, rather for the more "capitalist-merchant's" opportunity to sell. Many stores show off some Christmas decorations, and abstract concepts of Christmas trees are offered to the public at the entrance of larger and more exclusive department-stores and indoor malls; but as in the West, it is all about attracting the potential customers and the money in their pockets.

(For those of you, who buy the many holiday-decorations made in China, let me make note of the serious profits Walmart must be making in their American stores. Items that sell for many Dollars at home, can be purchased here at less than one-tenth the cost.)

With so many stores offering every type of seasonal, fashionable clothing, the years of the uniform-blue Mao-suits with blue caps and red
The English DepartmentThe English DepartmentThe English Department

To make the stay at our college as comfortable as possible, I am greeted each day with this happy expression of the holiday season, and I'm so grateful to the English Department for doing this.
stars have been forgotten. Fashion designers from around the world offer their wares in the many new, modern malls of every city in China.

Cosmetics, jewelry, appliances, audio, and TV products etc. are displayed and bought by the ever greater number of affluent Chinese consumers. The large number of mobile-phone stores also make it clear, that a Chinese and his mobile phone have become inseparable, and it seems that millions are sold every day.

Making money and shopping have become China's past-time, as bikes are replaced by electric mopeds and electric scooters, and these are then replaced by an increasing amount of privately owned cars. Street-traffic, though on the verge of being more organized, continues to expand, and is about to explode, making driving for a Western visitor a nightmare or a daring exploit, and a definite NO!! NO !!!

The staff at our small college has gone out of their way to make my stay with them as one of their family. A cheerfully decorated Christmas tree in the English department greets me and every visitor, and the kindness of everyone in the department, especially its Dean, Ms. Fan, makes the passing of this holiday season a joy and one among caring friends. All wish me to extend to you seasons-greetings and the invitation to visit here anytime.

My students at the college have shared with me their caring and affection in word, song, and deed, and they have showered me with wonderful gifts. Their expressions of love are bringing warmth and sometimes even tears. They have made this holiday away from home one to remember. Each of them send you their thoughts of friendship and all wish you a happy Christmas. 😊

I miss you and think of you always. Enjoy a wonderfully harmonious time this holiday season. See you soon,
Hans













Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Another new mall...Another new mall...
Another new mall...

attracts potential customers with holiday decorations.
Freshmen boys...Freshmen boys...
Freshmen boys...

are singing the newly learned Christmas song to the girls in the class.
The girls are thrilled by the serenade!The girls are thrilled by the serenade!
The girls are thrilled by the serenade!

The heavy winter coats make it clear, that the class-rooms are not heated. But they never complain.
Ryan and Tracy...Ryan and Tracy...
Ryan and Tracy...

have great courage to sing "Rudolph" to some 40 girls in their class.
Some very brave girls return the favor.Some very brave girls return the favor.
Some very brave girls return the favor.

As the only 2 boys in the class, you'll see Ryan and Tracy sitting by the window, listening to the presentation.


22nd December 2006

Merry Christmas!!
It's been so long since I last saw you, but believe me, for us your students it's like you never left that German classroom. We miss you a lot and truly hope you're having a great time in China. Hope to see you soon, take care. 'Warm' greetings from 305. =] -Allison.
22nd December 2006

We Miss You
Schneider We all miss you to. You've made an impact on all of us as well. I'd say that I was very fortunate to have you for two years. Sorrie for making them hard for you. But have made an impact on me. Your stories and your sense of being. Magic, Interesting, Moving. Merry Christmas Schneider
22nd December 2006

you are so funny...
You are so cute Schneider...you made me sing along "Rudolph" with your blog lol
22nd December 2006

x-mas
Merry Christmas Mr. Schneider! Looks like you're having an awesome time, I'm glad everything is working out for, you keep us posted
23rd December 2006

Hey Mr. Schneider! I just wanted to comment on how cute your office is and that Christmas is really beautiful over there. I also want to let you know that in our german class, when there's a lull every now and then, there is an excited squeal or exclamation where someone shouts "Mr. Schneider's coming!". This has been happening periodically ever since you've written on that last blog that you are coming. Just thought you'd like to know that we are all looking forward to you coming! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! ~Ash~
23rd December 2006

China
I wish Miami was a beautiful as China in Christmas. Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New year. Hope to see you soon.
26th December 2006

Merry Christmas, Schneidy Poo
merry christmas, schneider!! i hope you're enjoying your first christmas in your new home. i wish you a happy new year, and like john lennon said, "let's hope it's a good one, without any fear". it will start off well cause ill be seeing you very soon :D! i love you so much. and btw, i love the picture of you putting that wand in your student's face, while he moves away in horror. maybe he knows you were trying to give him the baldness curse.
29th December 2006

You look so thin!!!!! I can't wait to see you....and hear all the strange tales your entertain with!! Have a GREAT NEW YEARS!

Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 136; dbt: 0.1903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb