#104 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Freshmen Military Training at TTC, Sep. 2008)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
October 8th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the most surprising experiences for a first year student during college and university life in China has little to do with academic endeavor or performance. The Chinese college freshmen, who usually arrive 2 weeks after the classes for the upper classmen have already begun, must first participate in compulsory and strenuous two to three week "military training". That national practice wi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 114, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Standing proud with their group leader.Standing proud with their group leader.
Standing proud with their group leader.

This year's freshmen military graduation ceremony was greatly enhanced by the wonderful weather. They were all excited to begin the morning's ceremony.
These young men will major in ship construction.These young men will major in ship construction.
These young men will major in ship construction.

In other areas of the sports field, some of the other units relax before their big moment. This unit is made up of only males. They are the unit, who will major in ship-construction technology.
They will soon exchange their uniforms for civilian clothing.They will soon exchange their uniforms for civilian clothing.
They will soon exchange their uniforms for civilian clothing.

This is the last opportunity to take a photo for posterity. On their first day they were strangers, now they are friends, with whom they will associate a lifetime.
Very proud and capableVery proud and capable
Very proud and capable

It is not easy to be accepted into China's military. Many young men try for a position, only the best are given the chance.
Two styles of uniforms of the PLATwo styles of uniforms of the PLA
Two styles of uniforms of the PLA

Fatigues are the working uniform of the PLA regular on the left. The dress uniform of the PLA is used by the two regulars on the right.
A last salute!A last salute!
A last salute!

It is time to leave the sports field and move to the side-lines, where we can begin to observe the preparations of the civilians and of the spectators.
Under blue Taizhou skies, the units are making ready for their parade.Under blue Taizhou skies, the units are making ready for their parade.
Under blue Taizhou skies, the units are making ready for their parade.

Each college major is getting ready to march behind their own flag.
THE PARADE GRANDSTAND THE PARADE GRANDSTAND
THE PARADE GRANDSTAND

ON THE SIDE-LINES, THE GRANDSTAND HAS BEEN SET UP UNDER TAIZHOU'S BLUE SKIES. THE TTC ADMINISTRATION AND INVITED GUESTS (INCLUDING MYSELF) WILL REVIEW THE FRESHMEN MILITARY PARADE FROM HERE.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #1Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #1
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #1

Susie, who supports the needs of the Foreign Teachers at Taizhou Teachers College, waits for me at the sidelines of our sports field to show me my seat at the grandstand.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #2Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #2
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #2

Young and old will enjoy today's ceremony and parade to honor the freshmen of Taizhou Teachers College.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #3Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #3
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #3

The young man is a student, the young lady is one of our teachers. Both will be announcers during the parade.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #4Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #4
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #4

These four upper classmen have also been my students. They are about to leave our school in search for a teaching position. Together we reflect on their day, when they too were on the sports field, having completed their military training and what it meant for them.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #5Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #5
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #5

The grand-stand is still waiting for the arrival of today's guests. Only college President, Mr. Xu, and his Vice-President have made it early, to make sure all preparations are progressing well.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #6Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #6
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #6

The two top administrators of Taizhou Teachers College make last minute preparations from their seats on the grand-stand.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #7Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #7
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #7

The sound-system is checked one last time, and all seems ready and working well.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #8Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #8
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #8

This kind and wonderful lady is an assistant to Mr. Xu. You could not find a sweeter and gentler lady anywhere.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #9Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #9
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #9

English Department Dean Fan and Susie have a friendly conversation near the grand-stand.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #10Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #10
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #10

Remember Photo #3, the same two individuals are now ready on the grand-stand as announcers.
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #11Waiting for the Freshmen Parade,  Photo #11
Waiting for the Freshmen Parade, Photo #11

Almost everyone on the grand-stand has taken their seat. A final consultation between the commander of the PLA soldiers and Mr. Xu lets us know, that the "Parade" is about to begin.
THE FRESHMEN MILITARY PARADE BEGINS, Photo #1THE FRESHMEN MILITARY PARADE BEGINS, Photo #1
THE FRESHMEN MILITARY PARADE BEGINS, Photo #1

ALL OF THE INVITED GUEST HAVE TAKEN THEIR SEAT ON THE PARADE GRAND-STAND. THEY ARE ALL IN WHITE SHIRTS, AND I AM OUT OF UNIFORM IN MY BLACK SHIRT. I APPRECIATE MY INVITATION AND FROM MY SEAT, I AM ABLE TO SHARE THE MOMENTS WITH YOU WITH THIS SMALL PHOTO ESSAY.
THE FRESHMEN MILITARY PARADE BEGINS, Photo #2THE FRESHMEN MILITARY PARADE BEGINS, Photo #2
THE FRESHMEN MILITARY PARADE BEGINS, Photo #2

The path of the parade has been cleared, and all is ready as the reviewing stand waits for the opening ceremonies.



7th October 2008

Amazing Post
Wow. I've never posted a comment before---but I clicked on your blog by chance and just wanted to thank you for this post. It's completely fascinating.
8th October 2008

I appreciate your presence in China
Hello, and what an excellent blog, and more so an excellent life you are living there! Without such a life you couldn't not make such a blog! I lived in China for 1.5 years and recently returned to the US. I appreciate and encourage your sincere, secure and confident engagements with the Chinese people, I especially like how you are not at all off put by any negligence but rather confront it joyously. That is most excellent! Though it is unfortunate I think that so few Chinese seem to realize the political motivation behind the military training, which if you did not know was implemented around 1990...I like how you focused on the experience itself, which as you stated is mandatory and for now inevitable. I am glad to know that there is a fair-minded, and apparently very intelligent, kind-hearted, and interested American such as yourself living there in China and creating such blessed connections. Godspeed brother!
8th October 2008

Hi from Koln
Hi there to my favourite "Panda"! Thanks for the memories and the chuckles! I see nothing much has changed. Looks like you had great weather this year, though.
17th October 2008

Hi, Hans, in this story, the reactions of those students at the first encounters with you are vivid and very true. Due to a completely different cultural background and the isolation, this kind of behavior is rather a failed coverage in a reserved way for the excitement deep inside. Just wish more opportunities for these young people to exchange with the world beyond. Oh, military training for students and civilians isn't a new thing at all. It's really an old tradition and many had fun of it. Really happy to see the white clouds drifting in the blue sky in the photos. Hope the sky stays that way!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb