#104 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Freshmen Military Training at TTC, Sep. 2008)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
October 8th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the most surprising experiences for a first year student during college and university life in China has little to do with academic endeavor or performance. The Chinese college freshmen, who usually arrive 2 weeks after the classes for the upper classmen have already begun, must first participate in compulsory and strenuous two to three week "military training". That national practice wi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 114, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #29   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #29
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #29

This is the proper way to hold and aim the rifle for a PLA soldiers.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #30   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #30
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #30

The freshmen trainees feel awkward handling a rifle for the first time in their lifes.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #31   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #31
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #31

It takes time, but soon, the group is able to follow the instructions. They begin to understand, what they are doing. Their success here on the sports field permits them to shoot life rounds of amunition at a rifle range near the city.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #32   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #32
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #32

When they saw me with my camera, and I walked the grounds almost daily, the PLA regulars were always happy to see me and offered me a smile.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #33   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #33
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #33

The martial arts are part of the exhaustive training, and these young ladies are ready to show me their routine.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #34   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #34
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #34

The guys too are disciplined now, as they successfully exhibit their routine in the martial arts as a unit.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #35   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #35
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #35

On the last day before graduation, most of the drills focus on the parade, as they will present themselves to the college administration as well disciplined and proud groups.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #36   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #36
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #36

It looks like they are ready, in step, ready to show their accomplishments to the school's administration the next day. (Notice the wonderful hair-do of the young lady in the front). The physical changes of China's youth are becoming more dramatic with each passing year.
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #37   FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #37
FRESHMEN MILITARY TRAINING, SEP.2008, Photo #37

This is how they will look, when they march as "professionals" past the area, where the next day, college President, Mr. Xu, and the school's administration will stand in review.
It is a perfect day for a parade.It is a perfect day for a parade.
It is a perfect day for a parade.

Our sports-field at Taizhou Teachers College is the staging area for the freshmen military parade. Here, the units of graduating freshmen will wait with their PLA group leader under this morning's blue sky.
Graduation Day has arrived.Graduation Day has arrived.
Graduation Day has arrived.

Hours before the military parade is to begin, all freshmen trainees sit patiently. They are waiting for their moment of glory and show everyone, what they have learned during these past 2 weeks.
We are ready!We are ready!
We are ready!

These four freshmen were so proud of having been chosen to carry the banner for our college. They are ready to lead the parade, once the officials arrive at 9 a.m. sharp.
A little reading to pass the time before the parade.A little reading to pass the time before the parade.
A little reading to pass the time before the parade.

The PLA leaders also wait for the start of the parade. They have completed their assignment well these past 2 weeks on our campus.
All of the freshmen sit and wait patiently for the parade to commence.All of the freshmen sit and wait patiently for the parade to commence.
All of the freshmen sit and wait patiently for the parade to commence.

Hours before the opening of the ceremony, the graduating freshmen wait patiently in their groups.
The future English Majors of Taizhou Teachers College.The future English Majors of Taizhou Teachers College.
The future English Majors of Taizhou Teachers College.

The units extend the length of our sports field. Our English majors, many of whom will be my students after the National Holiday, can be seen waiting patiently wearing white gloves.
After this day, the PLA regulars will return to their regular duty, and continue their military career.After this day, the PLA regulars will return to their regular duty, and continue their military career.
After this day, the PLA regulars will return to their regular duty, and continue their military career.

Each unit and every freshmen will miss their "true" soldier leader. I even noticed tears in some of the girls eyes.
It was a morning of many photo opportunities.It was a morning of many photo opportunities.
It was a morning of many photo opportunities.

Many of the PLA regulars have become friends with me. For me it also became a morning of "Auf Wiedersehen's".
The stern exteriors of the soldiers hide a kind heart.The stern exteriors of the soldiers hide a kind heart.
The stern exteriors of the soldiers hide a kind heart.

One soldiers after another stopped to talk to me, say "good bye" and wanted to have their photo taken with me.
A well deserved smoke break.A well deserved smoke break.
A well deserved smoke break.

Some of the regulars take a well deserved "ciggy" break as they ponder the success they have had with their units these past 2 weeks.
A proud lead-teacher too wants to remember this moment.A proud lead-teacher too wants to remember this moment.
A proud lead-teacher too wants to remember this moment.

With the parade come the last photo opportunities. It is a moment none of the freshmen will ever want to forget.
The number "one" unit of this 2008 training cycleThe number "one" unit of this 2008 training cycle
The number "one" unit of this 2008 training cycle

Members of the unit pose proudly in their red beret and white gloves, having been named the outstanding unit.



7th October 2008

Amazing Post
Wow. I've never posted a comment before---but I clicked on your blog by chance and just wanted to thank you for this post. It's completely fascinating.
8th October 2008

I appreciate your presence in China
Hello, and what an excellent blog, and more so an excellent life you are living there! Without such a life you couldn't not make such a blog! I lived in China for 1.5 years and recently returned to the US. I appreciate and encourage your sincere, secure and confident engagements with the Chinese people, I especially like how you are not at all off put by any negligence but rather confront it joyously. That is most excellent! Though it is unfortunate I think that so few Chinese seem to realize the political motivation behind the military training, which if you did not know was implemented around 1990...I like how you focused on the experience itself, which as you stated is mandatory and for now inevitable. I am glad to know that there is a fair-minded, and apparently very intelligent, kind-hearted, and interested American such as yourself living there in China and creating such blessed connections. Godspeed brother!
8th October 2008

Hi from Koln
Hi there to my favourite "Panda"! Thanks for the memories and the chuckles! I see nothing much has changed. Looks like you had great weather this year, though.
17th October 2008

Hi, Hans, in this story, the reactions of those students at the first encounters with you are vivid and very true. Due to a completely different cultural background and the isolation, this kind of behavior is rather a failed coverage in a reserved way for the excitement deep inside. Just wish more opportunities for these young people to exchange with the world beyond. Oh, military training for students and civilians isn't a new thing at all. It's really an old tradition and many had fun of it. Really happy to see the white clouds drifting in the blue sky in the photos. Hope the sky stays that way!

Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 133; dbt: 0.1609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb