#104 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Freshmen Military Training at TTC, Sep. 2008)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Jiangsu » Taizhou » Taizhou University
October 8th 2008
Published: October 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

One of the most surprising experiences for a first year student during college and university life in China has little to do with academic endeavor or performance. The Chinese college freshmen, who usually arrive 2 weeks after the classes for the upper classmen have already begun, must first participate in compulsory and strenuous two to three week "military training". That national practice wi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 114, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #4The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #4
The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #4

The routines come fast and furiously. They become great entertainment for the spectators on both sides of the sports-field.
The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #5The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #5
The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #5

We are all impressed, and the freshmen gain additional respect for their group leaders.
The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #6The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #6
The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #6

The last exercise of the PLA regurlars involves hand to hand defensive positions.
The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #7The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #7
The PLA unit leaders perform "their" skills. Photo #7

The troop of PLA regulars leave the field with applause and the great admiration of the spectators, as the morning's ceremony 2008 come to a conclusion.
The commander issues Certificates of Appreciation to the PLA regulars.The commander issues Certificates of Appreciation to the PLA regulars.
The commander issues Certificates of Appreciation to the PLA regulars.

On the sidelines, after their on-field performance, the PLA troops are issued certificates for their efforts with our freshmen for the past 2 weeks of training.
The PLA regulars depart the sports field.The PLA regulars depart the sports field.
The PLA regulars depart the sports field.

It is the last time any of us will see these young men again. They leave as quietly as when they arrived, and will return to their local barracks to resume their military careers.
Gifts for the PLA soldiers from their freshmen admirers.Gifts for the PLA soldiers from their freshmen admirers.
Gifts for the PLA soldiers from their freshmen admirers.

The soldiers are presented with gifts by the freshmen. Here, one of the young men shows his haul to his commanding officer, not sure what to do with them. Many of our young female freshmen had tears in their eyes, when they said their "good bye"!
A soldier is never comfortable, having to carry a stuffed animal.A soldier is never comfortable, having to carry a stuffed animal.
A soldier is never comfortable, having to carry a stuffed animal.

As he passes me, he seems a little uncomfortable having to carry a stuffed animal and other gifts to the bus. He will bring them to his barracks. He too will fondly remember the many young ladies and few young men of our college. I am sure, it has been a great learning experience for him as well.
What will the future in China hold for him?What will the future in China hold for him?
What will the future in China hold for him?

One of the youngest spectators for today's ceremony seems thrilled, and may be a future freshman at TTC. I can only speculate, what his life in China might be like in 17 years, when he attends Taizhou Teachers College as an English Major!!



7th October 2008

Amazing Post
Wow. I've never posted a comment before---but I clicked on your blog by chance and just wanted to thank you for this post. It's completely fascinating.
8th October 2008

I appreciate your presence in China
Hello, and what an excellent blog, and more so an excellent life you are living there! Without such a life you couldn't not make such a blog! I lived in China for 1.5 years and recently returned to the US. I appreciate and encourage your sincere, secure and confident engagements with the Chinese people, I especially like how you are not at all off put by any negligence but rather confront it joyously. That is most excellent! Though it is unfortunate I think that so few Chinese seem to realize the political motivation behind the military training, which if you did not know was implemented around 1990...I like how you focused on the experience itself, which as you stated is mandatory and for now inevitable. I am glad to know that there is a fair-minded, and apparently very intelligent, kind-hearted, and interested American such as yourself living there in China and creating such blessed connections. Godspeed brother!
8th October 2008

Hi from Koln
Hi there to my favourite "Panda"! Thanks for the memories and the chuckles! I see nothing much has changed. Looks like you had great weather this year, though.
17th October 2008

Hi, Hans, in this story, the reactions of those students at the first encounters with you are vivid and very true. Due to a completely different cultural background and the isolation, this kind of behavior is rather a failed coverage in a reserved way for the excitement deep inside. Just wish more opportunities for these young people to exchange with the world beyond. Oh, military training for students and civilians isn't a new thing at all. It's really an old tradition and many had fun of it. Really happy to see the white clouds drifting in the blue sky in the photos. Hope the sky stays that way!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb