Ah Boo Boo


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hunan
August 25th 2005
Published: August 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Status QuoStatus QuoStatus Quo

This has been the look more often than not, unfortunately, but it's been getting better. This pose of sitting on the bed by herself is really unusual!
On just the third day, Sarah has already earned a nickname. As if she isn’t already confused enough with the new language and new names (Sarah Michelle, Lai Jing - her new Chinese name), now we’ve gotten to calling her “Ah-boo-boo”!  She’s got this incredibly cute manner of bubbling with her lips when she’s pouting. I suppose it’s our way of finding faces in the clouds during a thunderstorm, and this girl sure does rain tears a lot.

Sarah’s still very needy and clingy, and will rarely sit or walk on her own. So, when mama or baba are tired and/or busy, and can’t hold her…she starts to cry. I think it must have been a baby like Sarah who was the object when the term “cry-baby” was first coined! Stacey and I both agree that this little princess has us wrapped around her fingers…or, more accurately, she has us wrapping her up in our arms around the clock!

We know it won’t be this way forever, but since she is still learning to trust us, we’ve got to make sure she knows we’re there for her. We knew going into this that we would be giving her
Caged like an animalCaged like an animalCaged like an animal

The look from the back seat of a taxi in Changsha. Riding a taxi in China is more scary than any roller coaster. Traffic lights and painted lines are only suggestions in China.
an extraordinary amount of attention, and that is exactly what she is getting. Has any other baby in history been smothered this much in cuddles and kisses? Yes, I know, yours was/is!

But beyond the pouting and crying, we’re slowly seeing a side of Sarah that we’ve been longing to see. She loves being outside of the hotel room, and shows a bright and happy side when we’re taking walks, whether it’s down the dark hotel hallway, or among the throngs at Wal-Mart in Changsha. She’s beginning to crack an occasional smile, and showing interest in things (like wallpaper, light switches, decorator rocks and elevator buttons). What’s more, she’s real comfortable around strangers (well, at least around women) and willingly allows herself to be held by them. This is good; mama and baba will need a lot of help when we get back home!

We’ve been listening to Steven Curtis Chapman tonight in the room, and we’ve been reminded of what a precious gift Sarah is, and what a beautiful thing adoption is. There are so many children in this world who need to be held and loved, who’ve been orphaned for one reason or another. We thank
WalMart mommiesWalMart mommiesWalMart mommies

Stacey and fellow adoptive mommy Karri. The other woman on the right...I think she just wanted to get in the photo.
G for SCC and his mnstry in uniting more parents and kids. If you’re thinking about this…check out his mnstry’s website at www.shaohannahshope.org.

Every day we’re growing wiser as parents, and we’re pretty sure that Sarah is attaching to us more. Every day, we’re seeing progress. Every day we’re thanking the L for little breakthroughs and small successes, like allowing baba to holding her when mama would be so much better. Every day we’re thankful for the strength to go through the day on 5 hours of total sleep. Many thanks to all of you for your comments, emails and suggestions, especially from you parents, medical personnel and children’s specialists! We’re learning, slowly, and we love this journey called parenthood.

Tomorrow morning, we depart very early for Guangzhou, our families’ hometown and home to China’s newest (if not largest) airport. We’ll spend 5 days there (our longest stretch) and complete paperwork at the U.S. consulate. We’re staying at the China Hotel by Marriott, and we hear it’s another great hotel. We hope they have a hot water pot like we have here at the Hua Tian…whoever thought hot water would be such an important thing? We’ve learned to appreciate it as new parents, especially when there’s no microwave.

Blssings to you all, and thanks again for your love and pryrs.

Godfrey & Stacey


Advertisement



25th August 2005

What a cute pic!
Sarah is so adorable sitting on the bed playing with her toys! Yes, there will be more moments like that, where she will play by herself. But, as you have noted, she just needs to know you love her and will not leave her! We will pr for strength for you and for continuing bonding! Praise Father for small improvements every day! Our family is available when you need help ... just call us!
25th August 2005

About "Ah-boo-boo"
AAWWW! What a cute nickname. It's great that Sarah is getting along with Daddy now. And thank G, that there will be a lot of willing people to be a relief for your arms and help carry Sarah around.
26th August 2005

Congratulations!
I finally got to read all of your blogs after being sick and away from the computer for almost a week. Wow, congratulations! You both already look and sound like pros. Your updates really brought a lot of smiles and reminders of when my kids were small. I think Sarah will learn really quickly that Daddy's shoulders are much more roomy to sleep on. We can't wait to meet Sarah when you arrive back and have settled into your routine. That's great that you get 5 hours of sleep at night- I consider that sleeping through the night. Can't wait to see your food stained shirts, red eyes and hear about your parenthood stories- welcome to the club.
26th August 2005

We have loved reading your entries and look forward each day to reading all the exciting things you are learning and going through. Thank you for taking time to include us in your incredible journey especially because we know you have very little time of your own anymore...Your excitement and wonder of all the things Sarah is doing is so encouraging to me because as you experience it brand new for the first time, I am reminded more that I should appreciate my own kids as the precious gifts they are because the "cute" things they might do during the day can definitely get lost sometimes with the daily grind. You guys are doing a great job of loving Sarah and I know that you are also depending moment by moment on the L for strength, wisdom and grace. You are in our thoughts and prayers!
26th August 2005

Congratulations! We can't wait to meet Sarah. You are doing great!!! (Yes, the China hotel has hot water.)
26th August 2005

Boo boo
Hey! Boo-Boo is my nickname but I'll very gladly share it with Sarah! :) So much of what Sarah is going through reminds me of what we go through with Dad. He longs to hold us and yet we kick, scream and cry preferring to have it our way (sorry Stacey...I don't mean this to be a bad reference on you! I'm just learning so much through this.). Eventually though, He takes us around and shows us all the wonderful things He's given us to show us who He is and we calm down. We're quickly reminded and have learned He is safe...He is better than anything we could have imagined. I will continue to ask Dad that this experience will deepen our relationships with Him as well as be useful for Sarah to look back on as well as testimony to His faithfulness to her!
26th August 2005

split pants
You did save a pair of her split pants, didn't you?

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb