Planet of the apes meets Avatar!


Advertisement
Asia » China » Hunan » Zhangjiajie
June 21st 2015
Published: August 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

When carrying out our research on China, we stumbled across a place called Zhangjiajie (pronounced Jang-Jyaar-Jyeh but said quickly). We were lucky to have came across it as many westerners do not really come here (call it luck or maybe it was down to our excitement in researching every last corner of China). Across this whole site you are therefore unlikely to see another western face. When you r... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement








11th August 2015

Zhangjiajie
Wonderful intro to this ethereal gem of Hunan Provence. Definitely shooting to a must see on my next foray into China. Blows me away seeing the diversity of what China has to offer...demands returning time and again. Keep the fabulous pics coming.
12th August 2015

Zhangjiajie
Thanks for the thumbs up on the pictures. We both love the inspiring photography you share. We agree, China deserves many months of travel. The diversity in landscape and culture is mind blowing. We too will certainly return.
11th August 2015

Rabid monkeys!
I read somewhere that you know you are a seasoned Asian traveller when you don't think monkeys are 'cute' anymore...definitely the case for you two I think! Great photos, and way to rock those stunning purple and blue ponchos. :D
12th August 2015

Rabid Monkeys
I agree. When we think of monkeys we now conjure up these terrifying marque monkeys! Those poncho's were useless. As experienced travellers as we are we stupidly opted to leave our rain jackets thinking we could avoid the rain. Unfortunately we're not that lucky ?
12th August 2015

Rabid Monkeys
I agree. When we think of monkeys we now conjure up these terrifying macaque monkeys! Those poncho's were useless. As experienced travellers as we are we stupidly opted to leave our rain jackets thinking we could avoid the rain. Unfortunately we're not that lucky ?
12th August 2015

Wow!!! What an adventure...
confronting and fleeing wild attacking monkeys and having to climb the mountain twice just to get to your hostel. I think I'll take the cable car!
12th August 2015

What an adventure
It was certainly an adventure and a half. We keep finding such adventures. Not sure why. Yes, the cable car is a great option especially to avoid these wild monkeys. The only thing with that is that you miss the viewing platforms on the way up. We however missed the top viewing platform on the first mountain and I'm sure that would have been spectacular. On the Tiansi mountain there are no viewing platforms on the way up so the Bailong elevator is certainly the way to go!
12th August 2015

It looks beautiful
I'm glad to read you had a better experience here than on your last blog (despite the monkeys). It looks like a beautiful place, thanks for showing it to us.
12th August 2015

beautiful karsts
It was stunning here. Yes aside from the monkey ordeal we had a fantastic time and would certainly recommend it for your future trip. ?
12th August 2015

Beautiful karsts
It was stunning here. Yes aside from the monkey ordeal we had a fantastic time and would certainly recommend it for your future trip. ?
14th August 2015

Adventures in China
Wow, success in finding another incredible hidden gem. We must add it to our list of places to go sooner than later. Stunning. Those monkey's sound possessed. Glad you managed to escape them unharmed.
15th August 2015

Adventures in China
Yes would definately recommend a trip there sooner than later Dave and Merry. It was a fascinating place.
15th August 2015

Adventures in China
Yes would definately recommend a trip there sooner than later Dave and Merry. It was a fascinating place.
14th August 2015
Out of this world

I love it
The fog makes it mystical.
15th August 2015
Out of this world

I love it
We were disappointed on our first day to hear visibility was poor due to fog. We therefore missed the first site altogether (which was a good idea because its the distant views that are special here) but once seeing these tall shards of rock in the national park with the fog circling the ones we could see, it was magical.
14th August 2015
Amazing walkway along the stream

Wild China!
You two have the most amazing adventures! Before your blogs, I'd just associated China with crowded cities. Despite the 4 hours uphill on stone steps, (yikes) and the manic monkeys, this place really sounds magical. Thank goodness the bus took you around the second day!
15th August 2015
Amazing walkway along the stream

Wild China
Haha, we too were relieved the second day with the bus. We covered most of the forest floor the first day so we could relax a little exploring the tops that second day. I agree its one adventure after another. Even though we may know where we are going next we do not fully anticipate what is waiting?. We loved China, the cities can be crowded and even some tourest sites but there is still so much to explore in China. The most dyanimic scenary we have encountered for one. It's just charming.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 19; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb