DENGFENG AND LOUYANG


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Henan » Luoyang
May 26th 2014
Published: May 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

26.5.14



Destination: DENGFENG



Distance: 149 Kms SubT. 1,116 Kms Bal 10,867 Kms Road Condition: tricky roadworks 50%, balance OK

Weather: fine, dust and coal dust smog

Time in Saddle: 7.75 hrs Av Speed: av. 18 kph. Av Cadence. 68 Rpm

Elevation: 1060 m up; M down

Calories burned : 5648



Today was the hardest day yet. Road with Swiss and Italian fellows today, hoping they may have been slower that the OZ group I had been riding with. A forlorn hope, they were just as strong. Managed to hang on, I hope I am getting stronger. At times I have my doubts!

The first 25% was through reasonably scenic landscape, much like I am used to in Oz. Afterwards it all went downhill, literally and figuratively. Roadworks are happening each day, the extent is amazing. 30+ Kms today of single lane accommodating large single axle and huge semi trailers using the one potholed strip which we were also using. Quite challenging! Many trucks were hauling coal, so we were covered in fine black dust, arriving at hotel looking like tar babies! Last 25%, when we were already tired, was when the hills started. My Garmin died, but others said we climbed over 1,000 metres, up and down and up. The winds were ferocious cross and head winds, so strong at times that it was harder pedalling downhill than uphill on some occasions. My concern is that this was only a taste of what we may shortly regularly experience, with the addition of camping. The hotel is CRAP, must be trying to recover some money on last two nights of hotels, which were 5 * in comparison. Apparently the police wouldn't let the group stay in the designated hotels as they weren't registered for foreign tourists. Tonight's hotel is on a hill peak 10 Kms out of town.

Saw my first large Mosque this afternoon, so we know we are heading west.

No photos today, to busy hanging on to the bike! No rocking will be required for sleep tonight. Shorter 60 km day tomorrow. Sounds suspicious!!

DENGFENG is the home of the Shaolin Temple and warriors. Last night we were able to see the show they put on at the temple auditorium. Backdropped by spectacular mountains, performed in a basin on multi levels with an effective light show we were treated to a magical performance which to me showed life in the temple during the seasons of the year. A mixture of spiritual practice, martial arts training and survival. Most enjoyable hour show. The taxi ride to the temple and back was hair raising .



26.5.14. LOUYANG



Distance: 62 Kms SubT. 1,188 Kms Bal 10,805 Kms Road Condition: Good 9 km downhill

Weather: fine

Time in Saddle: 2.5 hrs Av Speed: av. 25 kph. Av Cadence. 75 Rpm

Elevation: m up; M down

Calories burned : 1780

Today started out at 7 am after ordinary breakfast. 10 Kms downhill was a great start. Easy ride balance. Lunch at 8.30 excellent then a slow ride into LOULANG, a large city with incredible high rise development. Each complex looks as though it would house a city of people.

After shower and laundry set out to look at LOUYANG. Hot and dry day. Streets have little character, a collection of footpath scooter repair shops, liqueur stores, crowded stores selling things I don't want. Amongst all this I can't find a shop that sells notepads. I need one for the daily route description. Who would guess in the country that invented paper, I can't find any.

Walking the street, came upon a cacophony of sound, fireworks ( crackers) let off ahead of a married couple walking through. Have now seen this in all Chinese cities visited. On the highways wedding vehicles in a group of about 8 cars, race along the highway, each made up in distinctive flowers and ribbons. All letting off fireworks in their wake. All cars are high end western brands, think German.

Changed money today, an excruciating process, 35 minutes, 10 sheets of forms. Certainly China needs to go along way to cope with tourism. The bank was in the Main Street, which was reasonably attractive with centre garden and leafy trees. A little Spanish in feel. Maybe the dry heat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



26th May 2014

Sounds like an easier day today compared to the past! Bet you are looking forward to your rest day tomorrow! xxx
26th May 2014

Reply
Yes. It is very hot here though lovedxx
26th May 2014

ur trip
Wow. ...will read ur blog to mum Thursday. Keep safe & enjoy xx
26th May 2014

Response
Thanks for that. Send Mum my love r

Tot: 0.363s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb