Buddhist Temple


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hangzhou
May 2nd 2008
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Shanghai and went to a Buddhist Temple and monastary that is being built. 2 hours from Shanghai. Since the Communists are allowing some religion nowadays, wealthy Chinese are donating money to build temples. This one is in the "countryside". Mr. Xu and Leo both have donated money and have bought a dorm room to visit anytime they want. They both invited us to go to the temple for may 1st, the Labor day holiday in China. Most factories are closed.

So we drove there and arrived in good shape even though the traffic was crowded.

This area is "old China" We arrived at a crossing bridge in front of the Temple gatehouse, but stopped because we didnt think the bridge would take the weight of the car. o we got out and walked the rest of the way.

The temple being built is six stories high on land that use to be farmland. It is huge.

We met Headmaster Xian Chong, the Master Buddhist Priest. he showed us the main buildings and the main temple, which is about 60 % coplete. He brought us to our dorm room and we went to eat dinner (all veggies and rice) in the mess hall.

There are also the current temples/worshipping places (three) which will be incorporated into the main one when it is done. The three branches here are Tao, Zen, and Budda.

There are also dorms for the nine monks, and 22 student monks in training (MITS?) and workers dorms and kitchens.

There will be a huge courtyard with water ponds. If you by a small fish or small turtle, make a wish, and let him go in the pond, wish will be granted.

Then we met him "the Master" office and talked about the temple, the peoples need to worship, etc, and about Buddhism. Judy and David were great translators. David is also a practicing Buddhist. The Master was also interested about my career in education, as the plans are for the Temple will have a Buddhist School for 200 monks. And he will be the Principal! (I told him to be careful, young monks may be a disciplinary handful!)

We all kept monks hours so we went to sleep at 8 o'clock.

We woke up at 5:30 and stayed outside the temple during worship, (chanting and praying). then we were brought to breakfast with the monks, it was silent eating, and some bell ringing during the meal. Afterward, I decided to take a walk.

As I was walking around, alone, I met a an who spoke english, named Jackie. he volunteed to buy and plant trees donated by his Yoga Organization. He works in a hotel in Hangzhou. His English was pretty good. He introduced me to some farmers. I found out that the hugh trees in the courtyard were medicinal and I looked and saw it was Ginko trees, 300 years old they said.

The we met up with the others and had lunch with Mr Xu, and his family who arrived in two Audis. They were very nice people, and Jackie had lunch with us. Leo and Peter who finally arrived. and we met up with them. They are building more dorm rooms, and for 100,000 Yuan, or about $14k, you, too, can have your own room at the Inn. But is is a very peaceful and relaxing place.

Then we left the Monastary, and drove to Hangzhou, and to Dinner! More food! I have to say very delicious and I always eat with chopsticks. (I might be messy but I always eat with them.)

Tomorrow is sightseeing around Hangzhou, the beautiful City.







Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb