Taking part in the Surfing Hainan Open at the Wanning International Surf Festival


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Hainan
January 6th 2011
Published: January 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: My wave in comp clip 1 12 secs
2: My wave in comp clip 2 33 secs
An International Surfing Festival came to town. This was actually back in November but I've only just put up this blog. I was somehow enrolled in the competition and these are the clips of my waves. The competition has been run successfully by Surfing Hainan for a few years but this year the government threw tens of thousands of pounds at it to turn it into a big grand event with billboard adverts all the way down the motorway and in newspapers, pro surfers flown over from every corner of the globe to compete and put on a show, a 'surfing fashion' catwalk show, skating displays, seminars and conferences. It was strange to see such a big event come to what is usually an empty beach with about five people in the water.

The most memorable thing about it was the big difference between the part involving the real surfers, and the part run by the government. The surfers and people from the local surf scene were hanging out watching the competition, partying and appreciating the amazing surfing of the pros going on the water, while the men in suits from the government and big companies sat in the
five star hotel or watched the cheesy modelling displays going on at a completely separate location. It was also funny to see how all the Chinese families and tourists who came to visit were standing on the beach barely aware of the surfing going on despite Chinese commentaries and explanations over the mic. They were far more interested in taking photograph after photograph with their arms around us foreigners' shoulders, doing the peace sign. For them, blonde hair is still more interesting than professional surfing displays!

At one point a load of important looking people descended on the beach from their chauffeur driven posh cars, stood around a bit, took one glance out to sea, ignored the surfing, took some photographs shaking hands with surfers and got back in their cars. The truth is that the majority of Chinese, whether government or natives to the island, just don't relate to surfing at the moment, so although these officials look important and are throwing money at developing surfing here, they actually won't have anywhere near the same affect as the real important people, who are the local surfers of the small scene in Sanya like Surfing Hainan, gradually increasing the popularity of surfing the way it should do naturally: from people who are really interested in the sport and not just interested in developing Hainan.

As for me, I really enjoyed my first ever time competing in a surf competition, and whether I deserved it or not, it was also quite fun taking advantage of the government money, getting a guest pass into a two banquet meals and meeting some interesting people from the snowboard and skate scenes who had come from all over China.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Holly BeckHolly Beck
Holly Beck

Californian pro coming out after her heat
heat orderheat order
heat order

a privilege to share the water with pros like Holly Beck, Mark Matthews, Jarrad House, Sam Bleakley and Wingnut. Note the difference between 'Amateur heats' and 'pro heats': Two very difference competitions together!
[1][1]
[1]

friends and two random important people
0611201034006112010340
06112010340

what is this long thing with fins you are checking into my hotel?


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb