#97 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ("Tropical" Island of Hainan, China's smallest Province)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Hainan » Haikou
April 1st 2008
Published: March 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

In ancient China, the southern Island of Hainan was known as the "end of the world". It is the place, to which many brave dissenters and critics of China's Imperial Dynasties and its emperors were exiled. One of the most outspoken critics of the Song Dynasty was China's ancient, grand poet Su Dongpo, who was exiled to Hainan between 1097 A.D. and 1100 A.D. by the Song Dynasty emperor. He descri... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Ming Dynasty Official, Hai RuiMing Dynasty Official, Hai Rui
Ming Dynasty Official, Hai Rui

Known and honored for his incorruptible integrity.
Garden Harmony of the Tomb of Hai Rui.Garden Harmony of the Tomb of Hai Rui.
Garden Harmony of the Tomb of Hai Rui.

Architecture is in harmony with nature, as in all Chinese gardens. Buildings, water, rocks, and trees make the grounds of the Tomb of Hai Rui a graceful and pleasant visit.
Entrance to the Wugong TempleEntrance to the Wugong Temple
Entrance to the Wugong Temple

Two of my group's participants on this day-tour wanted to pose with me. The Wugong Temple is also known as the "Five Official's Temple".
Fragrant Franjipanee-trees line the entrance toward the temple.Fragrant Franjipanee-trees line the entrance toward the temple.
Fragrant Franjipanee-trees line the entrance toward the temple.

Even the trees were waiting for the chill and the gray of these days to pass.
Two giant Franjipanee trees Two giant Franjipanee trees
Two giant Franjipanee trees

I want to show my brother-in-law, Ron, what Franjipanee trees look like when they mature.
One of the halls of the Wugong Temple commemorates the Song-era poet, Su Dongpo, exiled between 1097-1100.One of the halls of the Wugong Temple commemorates the Song-era poet, Su Dongpo, exiled between 1097-1100.
One of the halls of the Wugong Temple commemorates the Song-era poet, Su Dongpo, exiled between 1097-1100.

The Wugong Temple, also known as the Five Officials' Temple, was built in memory of five historical celebrities of the Tang and Song Dynasties, who lived within Hainan Province.
Banished to the Island of Hainan by the emperors.Banished to the Island of Hainan by the emperors.
Banished to the Island of Hainan by the emperors.

Outspoken and critical officials of the emperors were exiled to the Island of Hainan. The Island was known as the end of the world to the Chinese.
The roads, only a few miles outside of Haikou, look quite different in the rain.The roads, only a few miles outside of Haikou, look quite different in the rain.
The roads, only a few miles outside of Haikou, look quite different in the rain.

Our bus-driver had to navigate this and many similar roads on the way to visit a local village, known for its harvests of Jack-fruit. The picture was taken from inside the van, and accounts for the poor quality.
Ancient watering hole, used by people and animals.Ancient watering hole, used by people and animals.
Ancient watering hole, used by people and animals.

All the stones are volcanic rocks, and steps lead comfortably toward the water level of this open well, on the outskirts of the village we are about to visit.
The harvesting of Jack-fruit.The harvesting of Jack-fruit.
The harvesting of Jack-fruit.

The main crop of this village is the huge Jack-fruit. Throughout the village, these trees bear huge fruit, which make this village quite affluent.
Prospering among the Jackfruit trees.Prospering among the Jackfruit trees.
Prospering among the Jackfruit trees.

The village is spread among the large Jackfruit trees, and has survived the centuries unchanged.
It seemed, I had the village streets to myself.It seemed, I had the village streets to myself.
It seemed, I had the village streets to myself.

What has changed here throughout Hainan's centuries? It is still the simple life. How much longer will it last?
Changes in the country-side of Hainan come slow.Changes in the country-side of Hainan come slow.
Changes in the country-side of Hainan come slow.

Walking the paths of the village, we encounter scenes, that must have existed for hundreds of years.
The homes have changed little in the country-side of Hainan.The homes have changed little in the country-side of Hainan.
The homes have changed little in the country-side of Hainan.

The homes are small and humble. The main construction material are volcanic stones, that have been shaped into building blocks.
A village scene, that repeated itself as I walked the wet paths.A village scene, that repeated itself as I walked the wet paths.
A village scene, that repeated itself as I walked the wet paths.

Turning the corner of the path, I noticed a shy man, staring at me with great curiosity. I made sure to say hello to him.
A cigarette brought us together.A cigarette brought us together.
A cigarette brought us together.

As I walk the small village paths, inhabitants look at me as a strange intruder. It is doubtful, that this man has seen any Western visitor in his village.
These two boys were reluctant to pose with me.These two boys were reluctant to pose with me.
These two boys were reluctant to pose with me.

My guide told me, that they had never seen a "real-life" American. No doubt, I became their conversation during lunch. Note the simple homes, all similarly constructed with volcanic rock.
What is in these large vessels?What is in these large vessels?
What is in these large vessels?

Ceramic vessels may contain content that vary from simple water, to cooking oil, to locally destilled alcohol.
The simple stone-homes protect from rain.The simple stone-homes protect from rain.
The simple stone-homes protect from rain.

They also keep the family cool during the hot summer months. The paths between the homes are narrow, and became confusing to walk.
Smiling with his row of "gold-teeth"Smiling with his row of "gold-teeth"
Smiling with his row of "gold-teeth"

When you enlarge this photo, you may be blinded by the smile on this man's face. He was proud to show us his gold teeth, which lined the top and bottom of his mouth.
A look into the courtyard of the village home.A look into the courtyard of the village home.
A look into the courtyard of the village home.

Families and animals share the same family compound, and have not changed for centuries. Electricity is making life somewhat more comfortable for each village.



1st April 2008

What a wonderful journey!
You had a colorful journey,but you still missed something!hadn't you?
1st April 2008

HI
Glade to see that
3rd April 2008

A father looking
when i looking at those words and pictures , i just be shocked by them what you record ,it your china history of you !!!!
25th May 2008

great
hello, Hans. you are a good teacher and good traveler, you have done very wounderful, I can imagine that you are nice guy with warm heart. I will visit here often future, to see other great things. yes, I like traveling also, and I have been to Miami on business travel, I am an engineer. I can travel a lot. it is a great work for you to do that, thank you, it makes me happy. please take care. david
21st October 2008

Invitation to a second visit to Hainan
Hi Hans, unfortunately you did not have a memorable visit to Hainan due to your unfortunate physical conditions and contant rain.I sugest a return visit to Sanya,the southern resort city of Hainan where most tourists visit when they are in Hainan.
25th October 2008

recall the cold
Hi, Hans, I was out of breath as I read through the story about your sufferings. You are brave and frank to share a common embarresment which everyone would have experienced in life. That is only natural and normal, but, when I told the others about my own simílar story, they just burst out laugh! The beginning of 2008 in southern China was unusually cold and dismal. I was shivering in the flat while standing on the floor of paved marble feeling the chill came from beneath the foot. That was early Feb this year and finding warmer sandles in the city Shenzhen was just un easy. However, the weather turned suddenly dry-hot after 3 weeks and the metropolis was shrouded in heavy mist under the blazing sun and I suffered from a sever chest infection. The holiday resort Longmen Iron-spring was a nice place to go. It´s not far from Shenzhen and the price was reasonable. Lying in the hot spring under those banana trees was quite a kind of "Geniessen".
10th November 2008

Translation problems
a. "End of the World " ? The southern tip of Hainan Island was described by poets as " Tien Ya, Hai Jiow" , not the " End of the World ". In fact Hai Jiow means a corner of the sea. The phrase probably means " this is the end of the land and the start of the sea with the horizon far beyond ". b. " Dissenters and Critics " ? In history, Su Dong Po was a poet, never a dissenter or a critic. During those days, there were no lawyers to defend you. Dissenters will lose their lives and critics will get punished. There were no records, in fact, to show Su Dong Po did anything to get himself into the black book of the Emperor. Probably he offended the Emperor after having too much of the alcohols and got himself banished because the Emperor did not want to see him anymore.
18th July 2010

Hainan is a very great place to visit, especially due to its natural environment. It will be best for you to even check out corners like Wenchang for chicken rice. Lifestyle there is really different but special. And seafood is really cheap. Hope that you will visit Hainan again to see more since i think you have missed most of the wonderful things there. ^^
5th September 2010

teaching english
i would like to teach english in your college i am australian 66 in very good health love china and the chinese people i have my masters and bacheolars degree i look forward to your reply patrick patrickgleeson@live.com

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb