#97 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ("Tropical" Island of Hainan, China's smallest Province)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Hainan » Haikou
April 1st 2008
Published: March 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

In ancient China, the southern Island of Hainan was known as the "end of the world". It is the place, to which many brave dissenters and critics of China's Imperial Dynasties and its emperors were exiled. One of the most outspoken critics of the Song Dynasty was China's ancient, grand poet Su Dongpo, who was exiled to Hainan between 1097 A.D. and 1100 A.D. by the Song Dynasty emperor. He descri... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 84, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

WITH OTHERS IN MY GROUP, LET ME NOW TAKE YOU ON TOUR THROUGH THE NORTH OF HAINAN:WITH OTHERS IN MY GROUP, LET ME NOW TAKE YOU ON TOUR THROUGH THE NORTH OF HAINAN:
WITH OTHERS IN MY GROUP, LET ME NOW TAKE YOU ON TOUR THROUGH THE NORTH OF HAINAN:

With this small group of visitors to Hainan, I made my way to the surrounding areas of Haikou. We endured the rain and cold together, and became friends and share great moments, visiting Haikou's famous sites.
The pain of a vacation without sunshine.The pain of a vacation without sunshine.
The pain of a vacation without sunshine.

We stand at the Holiday Beach of Haikou, which is empty of sun-worshippers and visitors. We ponder the cold, gray, rain, and our bad luck during our vacation.
I am told, that the city of Haikou should be visible along the top right during the clear days.I am told, that the city of Haikou should be visible along the top right during the clear days.
I am told, that the city of Haikou should be visible along the top right during the clear days.

The city of Haikou is barely visible through the gray and fog along the beaches of Haikou.
No visitors are willing to brave the rain and cold of "Holiday Beach".No visitors are willing to brave the rain and cold of "Holiday Beach".
No visitors are willing to brave the rain and cold of "Holiday Beach".

A lonely cannon is pointed toward the sea along Holiday Beach of the Island of Hainan. Palms blow in the cold of the unusual winter, experienced all over China, keeping visitors and tourists away.
Where are all the sun-lovers?Where are all the sun-lovers?
Where are all the sun-lovers?

This is suppose to be the busy time of the year for the Holiday Island of Hainan. The beach-chairs are empty, as winter winds blow, and the rains keep tourists in their hotel rooms.
Entrance to the Ma'an Ling Volcanic VentEntrance to the Ma'an Ling Volcanic Vent
Entrance to the Ma'an Ling Volcanic Vent

The stone marks the entrance to one of the most well-preserved extinct volcanic vents in the world.
Known in China as the "Natural Volcano Museum" by geologists.Known in China as the "Natural Volcano Museum" by geologists.
Known in China as the "Natural Volcano Museum" by geologists.

These beautifully shaped pillars are remnants of volcanic flows down the mountain side.
The Natural Volcano Museum of China.The Natural Volcano Museum of China.
The Natural Volcano Museum of China.

Now seen as a down-hill park area, the slope marks the path of the lava-flow from the mouth of the volcano.
Exposed lava-flow on the lower part of the mountain.Exposed lava-flow on the lower part of the mountain.
Exposed lava-flow on the lower part of the mountain.

Preserved and open lava-flow is exposed to the visitors. Sadly, the fog and mist obscures much of the scenery, but the place made for a delightful visit.
Ancient stone tools along the route to the top of the volcano.Ancient stone tools along the route to the top of the volcano.
Ancient stone tools along the route to the top of the volcano.

Along the route of the lava flow and the park, the visitor is invited to view ancient tools and machinery carved from the lava stones. Many were used in the processing of suggar cane, a major crop of the island.
Steps carved into the lava stone lead us down and into the volcano.Steps carved into the lava stone lead us down and into the volcano.
Steps carved into the lava stone lead us down and into the volcano.

In mist and rain we descend into the mouth of the extinct volcano.
Looking into the mouth of the volcano.Looking into the mouth of the volcano.
Looking into the mouth of the volcano.

Deep in the crater, the opening of the now extinct volcano is quite visible.
The Tortoise and the Snake The Tortoise and the Snake
The Tortoise and the Snake

Two of great mythological animals are represented in the middle of a crater lake. The tortoise and the snake are the two honored animals, seen here in embrace of each other.
Three friendsThree friends
Three friends

Standing in front of the path leading up Hainan's extinct volcano, we take one more photo before our departure. Though the days were gray, cold, and wet, together we had a great time visiting each of Haikou's tourist attractions.
Ancient Banyan TreeAncient Banyan Tree
Ancient Banyan Tree

Having joined a tour-group, we visited one of the large banyan trees, on our way to villages on the outskirt of the city.
A visit to the Tomb of Hai Rui.A visit to the Tomb of Hai Rui.
A visit to the Tomb of Hai Rui.

Hai Rui was an official of incorruptible integrity, and outstanding politician, and has been greatly respected by the generations who followed. The beautiful grounds of the tomb attest to that respect.
Path leading toward the Tomb of Hai Rui in Haikou.Path leading toward the Tomb of Hai Rui in Haikou.
Path leading toward the Tomb of Hai Rui in Haikou.

One of the grand sites of Haikou, Hainan is the tomb for Hai Rui. The main path is lined with wonderful ancient statuary.
A grand platform displays a stele and the tomb.A grand platform displays a stele and the tomb.
A grand platform displays a stele and the tomb.

The stone stele stands in front of the domed tomb of Hai Rui. Born in Hainan, Hai Rui punished treacherous court officials and campaigned for the rights of common people.
Tomb of Hai RuiTomb of Hai Rui
Tomb of Hai Rui

Palms surround the platform, and the domed tomb points the way toward the round temple. Hai Rui was an upright official from the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644)
A round temple reflects heaven in Chinese tradition.A round temple reflects heaven in Chinese tradition.
A round temple reflects heaven in Chinese tradition.

The grounds of the Tomb of Hai Rui shows this wonderful, round temple-structure, similar in form to the Temple of Heaven in Beijing.
Only a few visitors brave the rain and cold of the day.Only a few visitors brave the rain and cold of the day.
Only a few visitors brave the rain and cold of the day.

Some of my tour-group pose in front of this small, but exquisite temple structure.



1st April 2008

What a wonderful journey!
You had a colorful journey,but you still missed something!hadn't you?
1st April 2008

HI
Glade to see that
3rd April 2008

A father looking
when i looking at those words and pictures , i just be shocked by them what you record ,it your china history of you !!!!
25th May 2008

great
hello, Hans. you are a good teacher and good traveler, you have done very wounderful, I can imagine that you are nice guy with warm heart. I will visit here often future, to see other great things. yes, I like traveling also, and I have been to Miami on business travel, I am an engineer. I can travel a lot. it is a great work for you to do that, thank you, it makes me happy. please take care. david
21st October 2008

Invitation to a second visit to Hainan
Hi Hans, unfortunately you did not have a memorable visit to Hainan due to your unfortunate physical conditions and contant rain.I sugest a return visit to Sanya,the southern resort city of Hainan where most tourists visit when they are in Hainan.
25th October 2008

recall the cold
Hi, Hans, I was out of breath as I read through the story about your sufferings. You are brave and frank to share a common embarresment which everyone would have experienced in life. That is only natural and normal, but, when I told the others about my own simílar story, they just burst out laugh! The beginning of 2008 in southern China was unusually cold and dismal. I was shivering in the flat while standing on the floor of paved marble feeling the chill came from beneath the foot. That was early Feb this year and finding warmer sandles in the city Shenzhen was just un easy. However, the weather turned suddenly dry-hot after 3 weeks and the metropolis was shrouded in heavy mist under the blazing sun and I suffered from a sever chest infection. The holiday resort Longmen Iron-spring was a nice place to go. It´s not far from Shenzhen and the price was reasonable. Lying in the hot spring under those banana trees was quite a kind of "Geniessen".
10th November 2008

Translation problems
a. "End of the World " ? The southern tip of Hainan Island was described by poets as " Tien Ya, Hai Jiow" , not the " End of the World ". In fact Hai Jiow means a corner of the sea. The phrase probably means " this is the end of the land and the start of the sea with the horizon far beyond ". b. " Dissenters and Critics " ? In history, Su Dong Po was a poet, never a dissenter or a critic. During those days, there were no lawyers to defend you. Dissenters will lose their lives and critics will get punished. There were no records, in fact, to show Su Dong Po did anything to get himself into the black book of the Emperor. Probably he offended the Emperor after having too much of the alcohols and got himself banished because the Emperor did not want to see him anymore.
18th July 2010

Hainan is a very great place to visit, especially due to its natural environment. It will be best for you to even check out corners like Wenchang for chicken rice. Lifestyle there is really different but special. And seafood is really cheap. Hope that you will visit Hainan again to see more since i think you have missed most of the wonderful things there. ^^
5th September 2010

teaching english
i would like to teach english in your college i am australian 66 in very good health love china and the chinese people i have my masters and bacheolars degree i look forward to your reply patrick patrickgleeson@live.com

Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 129; dbt: 0.1825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb