Zigen ETTP Summer 2014


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guizhou
July 19th 2014
Published: July 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday as we were preparing to begin our teacher training program, the Zigen local liaison received a phone call from the local head of the Education Bureau that our program was being cancelled. Li Xiao Ping had received a call from the government that they were canceling the program. No explanation. Just cancelled. They had instructed him to call the 69 teachers who had signed up and had just been instructed to come with a dictionary and other materials for a Sunday orientation. Needless to say, we have all been in shock for the last 24 hours, trying to figure out what to do. There are 8 of us here for this year's program -- we've all traveled a distance to be here and it's really unnerving to think that this could happen.



We talked and talked yesterday and today -- several possibilities were discussed...we could all go to Beijing and participate in Zigen's English program for children of migrant workers -- there is an event -- a 5-day intensive English program with 3 international volunteers to take place on 7/22-7/29. Pat the head of zigen offered her house/apartment for us to stay in if we chose to do that. We could try to give some informal classes to teachers in this region -- in Guiyang or in Leishan both in Guizhou Province -- but that would take some time and some negotiating with local officials and institutions -- nothing guaranteed. It was also suggested that we consider doing local cultural tourism, visiting Bouyei and Dong villages in the area -- a possibilities and undoubtedly a wonderfully rich cultural experience, but it would involve unexpected personal expense and that was not the purpose of this trip.



We slept on it and this morning further discussed the situation. It was decided that two of the young men -- Shwai and SQ would go to Leishan and work in the Zigen office, that Cam and Zara, Pat's grandchildren will go to Beijing, that Bianca will be going back to Hong Kong as planned, and that Judy, Duke and I would come to Guiyang to perhaps do a workshop with the staff of a local international development organization working on their English skills since they have to escort visiting foreigners who are coming to China for projects.

So here we are, after traveling for about 4 hours this afternoon, we are in the Days Inn in Guiyang. We went out for dinner and we're back at the hotel. I'm thinking about rescheduling my flight to Greece -- it seems very complicated but I'm trying to figure it out.

I wish that I could write something delightfully positive but feeling a little overwhelmed with the situation. Completely blind-sided.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb