LongLi. A Han Fortress in a Far off Land


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guizhou » Liping
August 8th 2019
Published: August 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

LongLi is a small fortress town in the heart of a Dong and Miao region. The fortress was built in the Ming dynasty, 17th century, to bring the region under the control of the empire. The people who still live in LongLi are direct descendents of the soldiers who came here from the east. The town also has a distinct look thanks to its eastern style architecture, so different from the surrounding Dong and Miao buildings.

It was again easy to get here. We caught a bus going to JiPing and we were dropped off at the motorway toll booths of XiHua. We were then given a lift by a kind couple from LongLi who dropped us off at the east gate which has an old wooden pagoda on top of it. Directly outside the east gate is a comfortable hotel, twin room 100 rmb a night.

There were quite a few tourists daytripping but in the evening it was very peaceful and the evening sunlight made the wooden buildings almost glow.

Outside of the town there are beautiful paddy fields with temples. There is also a very old stone bridge over the river which leads to a pathway which goes to a lovely little temple which has wonderful views of the town and the surrounding countryside.

We spent a couple of days here just wandering the streets, chatting to the locals and relaxing. It could easily be done in a day if you are in a hurry.

Village hopping in Guizhou is finished for this summer. It has been really special to see these amazing villages and towns with such friendly and warm people. The heat and humidity has been a struggle at times and perhaps we should have had a few more rest days in between the days of long walking.

Enjoy the Photos

JAH BLESS


Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



9th August 2019
20190805_175204

Chili Road
Gotta post this in "Follow that Road" thread in the Photography Forum. What a beauty. Check it out.

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 26; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb