Of Mountains, City and Energetic Folks of Guilin


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Here I am the one place I have heard of in my younger days and finally get to visit. Guilin is a place where most Chinese from other countries have always wanted to visit besides the Great Wall of China. It was always the next choice. I don’t know why. Ask the elderly Chinese. Maybe it is the lure of the Guilin Mountains.

I actually got a free trip to Guilin. It was my job that made this possible for me. Though it was a short trip but it was worthwhile. I did not actually look at the dates and time to see Guilin. I worked and enjoyed at the same time. Guilin is not as busy as Beijing or the famous Shanghai, a medium size city with not so busy streets and crowded city. When they say its medium size, it meant BIG in China.

Guilin is famous for its Limestone Mountains. Cone after cone of the mountains made this very special and beautiful in the spring time or after the rain when the mountains are surrounded by thick mist, seeping through each cones makes a sight one who never wants to miss. A natural wonder of its own. It is like the Chinese paintings by the infamous artists drew thousands of years ago.

Beautiful limestone mountains, hills and lakes, caves that stretches few kilometers, river cruise on Li River that enable us to view the limestone mountains with a close view, villages with shanty old brickhouses, fishermen at work, hauling up the nets, hopefully to have a good catch for the day. There is something one should never miss; it is the Cormorant birds that catch the fishes for the fishermen on the slim fishing boat. They are like pets but a good working pet. The prize they get at the end of the day is the fish they caught.

The hotel that I stayed has got a beautiful lake park. The Shan Lake has got two beautiful pagodas. The pagodas were named The Sun and The Moon Pagodas. Best to view is at night with gold and white lights that brought the two pagodas shine in the dark, reflections of shimmering lights that shaped the two pagodas on the lake is simply wonderful. Nice place for romantic couples. Ahem.

In the early morning, the early birds, mostly middle age to elderly people occupied the whole area around the Shan Lake, some can be seen under the bridge with heavy traffic above them, on the platforms by the banks of the lake even on the streets in front of shop houses brought smiles to me. Tai Chi Sword, Tai Chi Fan and the 18 Steps Tai Chi that makes many bystanders grinned with awe. These are the whole lot of healthy people that made exercise fun. They did not mind my presence when I took their pictures, they approval of me with a grin. Wonderful aren’t they?


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb