Guilin


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
May 16th 2006
Published: May 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Elephant HillElephant HillElephant Hill

..elephant drinking from the river (allegedly! - if you close one eye, hop on one leg, it's clear as crystal)
Nice to get back to dry warm weather in Guilin, after the rain of Shanghai.

Only had one day in Guilin, so not much to say about it and I'll let the photographs tell the story instead. Guilin is known for its scenic location amongst a host of gnarled, 200m high rocky hills on the Li River.

Spent the day wandering through the parks, and trying to figure out the strange names put on the limestone hill formations. The most notable one in the town is Elephant Trunk Hill (said to be the body of a sick imperial baggage elephant who was cared for by the locals and turned to stone rather than rejoin the emperor's army).

Climbed some of the limestone peaks, spend time in Seven Star Park which had a zoo, where you could get your photo taken with a tiger - I decided to pass on that one, it was very sad, the tiger actually looked like it had been drugged to keep him sedate. There were also loads of monkeys just wandering around the park, ignoring the tourists.

Following a quick bout of archery, Thomas (finally!) got to play with the new frisbee, and on the way back to the hostel that evening, we got conclusive evidence of my superior height, with Thomas a mere 1.5 cm behind my 1m77cm at 1m75.5cm. There are some ludicrous conspiracy theories regarding thickness of soles of flipflops as compared to the soles of his feet, but the printout doesn't lie!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

White Goodman..White Goodman..
White Goodman..

..Here at Globo Gym we're better than you, and we know it (Dodgeball reference)
Big BowlBig Bowl
Big Bowl

..apparantly feeds enough rice for 1000men - I thought it was just for starters!
Board GameBoard Game
Board Game

9 Cups game - canal fills with water, players set off a cup of wine, wherever it stops, player has to compose a poem or drink the cup... sounds like early version of fuzzy-duck!
Real CamelReal Camel
Real Camel

..for those of us who need a reminder to compare with "Dromedary Hill" !
TargetsTargets
Targets

Trials for the Merry Men were not going well..


1st June 2006

bites
you are still irresistible I see. Shame you don't have the same effect on humans !1
1st June 2006

Height
Rachel is obviously growing on you , Thomas !!!

Tot: 0.416s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 20; qc: 121; dbt: 0.3275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb