Week of Mixed Emotions


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Shenzhen
May 21st 2010
Published: May 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

This week has been packed full of accomplishing things to do before we leave and the dreaded emotional roller coaster. When we first arrived in China EVERYTHING was a big experience now it seems it is just a way of life. We have come so far in 9 1/2 months of living in the People's Republic of China(PRC). Our training in Beijing had suggested in order to deal with culture shock we should write things down, the good and bad. After looking back at our 113 blog entries of the year we definitely have done that.

Monday We started our new class schedule as our students are now in classes 1-20 instead of A1-10 and Jia 1-10. Classes 1-10 are Science focused students, Pete teaches them and 11-20 are Art focused students, I have them. Our schedules are pretty sweet but Pete would say that mine is better since I only teach 3 days a week: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. His is pretty good also since he teaches 4 days a week with us both having Wednesdays off. This schedule is good for 3 more weeks for us since we got our school to commit to our last day of teaching is June 3rd for me and June 4th for Pete. YES!!!!We have a set day and can actually count down. The bad thing is we have to be out of our apartment by Wednesday, June 9th, after we arrive back from a trip to Xi'an late on June 8th.

Good news, we got offered the positions to teach Oral English at Hangzhou Wanxiang Polytechnic College. The year long schedule is on their website to we printed that out and know when we have days off, exciting as we won't be in the guessing/unknown game next year.

Tuesday We started to tell our students how many classes left of Oral English we have since we are done teaching in less than 3 weeks. The students really do love us, well at least most of them, as we announced it to each class we got the "NO, we will miss you" response from all the students. We are the only class that doesn't give homework or exams, so in their eyes we are AWESOME.

I sent an email to the current foreign teacher at the college in Hangzhou and got some not so good news. He was telling us about his experience there and also that it is a 40 minute bus ride into town. Not the news we wanted to hear but we will take it with a grain of salt.

Wednesday We have been wanting to make a trip to Buji all semester but when we attempted once before on a Sunday, along with Maggie a CTLC teacher from Appleton, WI it failed as all the 839 buses were full and didn't stop at the bus stops. We successfully made it there after the internet man came to fix our connection. Pete can watch the NBA finals on our TV once again and is very excited instead of watching them online. We met up with Zak, another CTLC teacher from Lake Oswego, OR who lives and teaches in Buji, to have lunch and a beer as it was really hot out. Then we walked around the Da Fen Art District to all the galleries. It started to rain or should I say downpour, as we didn't bring our umbrellas and were trying to run from one awning to the next. We were soaked and then got small umbrellas to keep us a little drier. Around 4pm we hopped on a bus to Louhu Commercial City were there is a building 5 stories tall of fake handbags, watches, electronics and tailors. We were looking for the tailor and found the stall successfully.

Pete has wanted a suit for the wedding instead of a tux from day one of our wedding planning. We have searched all around Hong Kong but the pricing was just out of our teaching budget. Many CTLC teachers have had a whole wardrobe of clothes made from this tailor in Shenzhen, she comes from Hong Kong, and I finally convinced Pete just to go check out the materials and the price. It couldn't hurt. Maggie also wanted some more suits made and a dress. She has gotten lots of things made in China and Vietnam during her travels. I am still at nothing made since I have so many suits and dresses in the US. Pete found some material that he liked and I approved of, got measured and has a fitting next Wednesday. Total cost for tailor made pants, jacket, vest and dress shirt 1200RMB=$175. Great price as the cheapest we could find in Hong Kong was $400USD.

Thursday Our 4 year anniversary. Wow how the time has flown by and it will be our last year celebrating. We both agreed it was strange this year since we are getting married in August it just didn't feel as big. Plus, being in China we eat out a lot so what to do special for this day. Pete taught 4 classes and I taught 5 classes, most I have ever taught in one day. We were at school all day and that rarely happens also. After school we came home and I napped since I was exhausted. Then we went out to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants followed by us both getting a xi tou, hair wash/massage/blow dry. Pete had always passed on getting one until today and it was funny when he asked "How much longer?", while laying on his stomach getting his back massaged. When we arrived home we got an email from Shenzhen Middle School stating that we didn't get the positions of teaching AP courses to high school students. Well one offer on the table at least.

We looked up flight prices and decided Pete will go to Hangzhou to check out the college, city and surroundings along with maybe a visit to Shanghai to visit a private language school that has contacted us next weekend. It is too late now to go this weekend but next weekend works and the contact at the school said that would be great. We have received photos of the 2 bedroom apartment we would live in on campus and it looks very nice. Decisions, Decisions as our time here is winding down.

Friday Pete has to teach 2 classes today then will be enjoying probably a last "Guys Night Out" with Riley and Marty, 2 CTLC teahcers in Luohu. It is strange to think we have this weekend, Pete in Hangzhou/Shanghai next weekend, also a last couples weekend in Yantian minus Pete, then the following weekend we are in Xi'an and done teaching. We need to book flights to Vietnam and Laos for our travels starting around June 9th but we will probably do that this weekend.

Advertisement



21st May 2010

mixed emotions
Sorry to hear about Shenzhen Middle School...oh well, that might have been more like teaching in the US....35 lessons a week is not your style of teaching!!!!!! Glad you are checking out the college town and living quarters....Enjoy your last few weeks with your friends and students!!!!!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb