Kite Day in Shenzhen


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Shenzhen
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Shenzhen is a city of parks. They are beautifully maintained, clean, and large. They have hiking trails, picnic areas, exercise areas and recreational facilities.

One day in January was declared Kite Day. People were encouraged to go to the parks and fly kites. Sea and I walked to the nearest park and headed to the kite flying field.

On the way we passed a beautiful display of very old looking bonsai. There must have been 40 of them, all in bloom. I have tried to cultivate bonsai a few times in my life, always unsuccessfully. So I appreciated these beautiful examples.

We finally got to the kite flying field. There were several thousand people there. Hundreds were flying kites. There was a band stand with a band playing. The field was ringed with vendors selling all sorts of things.

Sea bought a kite from a walking vendor. We quickly put it together and tried to launch it. The wind was sporatic. Sometimes it was good, and sometimes it was completely still. When it picked up a bit were got the kite into the sky. It flew a few minutes until the wind died. We waited until it picked up again, and launched again. That is how the day went.

The crowd eventually began to leave, so did we.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb