Watchtowers (Diaolou) -A National Culture Heritage site


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Jiangmen
February 1st 2013
Published: February 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Hakkas are a unique ethnic group of "Han" Chinese originally active mainly in south of ChinaThey have their own langue and culture. My family is one of the traditional Hakkas. My grandfather told me that our original settlement was in middle of China. They were forcing to move to south for fighting. As a latecomer to places initially occupied by locals, Hakkas usually had to struggle and survive on the less desirable lands. Thus, Hakka people are well known for their perseverance even in the most adverse environment.

And Watchtowers are created for prevention and defending at that time.

There are many Diaolou all over Guangdong. The most famous is in Kaiping.

They were approved as a national cultural heritage site in 2001, and were listed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in June 2000.

Watchtower is a tower-looking building, the main purpose of the building was to defend the village and prevent the bandits from attack and robbery. Once in emergence, all villagers could move into the tower for security. On the upper part of the tower, there was outlier corridor for the insiders to occupy a commanding position to fire at those attackers. Generally, those watchtowers are located in the rear or on both sides of the village, occupying the commanding position. At least there were 2 or 3 towers in each village, and at most 7 or 8 ones.

We confirmed to go there. A few hours of driving, high-speed road, we arrive. It’s the biggest watchtower group that I even seem. Most of them are not same as tradition style of the village that I lived. Their construction is mix with western style. More elegance and model style. They are in long history, and build around 1920, almost 100 years, looks and feel they are still strong and safe.

Comparing to the house or building now, too many funny stories of buildings or bridges make me fell risky.

Is our technique getting backward?

They were several watch towers can protect the whole villages.

Now, how many people’s life is depressed by being a house slave


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb