Xiahe and the Labrang Monastery


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Gansu » Xiahe
October 19th 2010
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

While here in Xiahe (altitude of 2920m) we decided that to get some good photos (hopefully) we'd have to get up early and watch the sunrise over the Labrang Monastery. So we woke up at 6am, which was probably about 90 minutes too early and headed over to the view point to wait for the sun to rise. The sun evenutally rose at about 7:30am and then the sun didn't shine where we hoped it would until close to 9am. But we met some nice Chinese guys with fancy cameras that were also waiting for the sun to rise, so we weren't alone.

Once the sun had risen and we took the photos we wanted we completed walking the Kora (pilgrim path) that encircles the monastery then headed for breakfast.

After freezing our butts off waiting for the sun to rise, we decided what better way to celebrate Kathie's birthday then to buy matching red Columbia winter jackets. Xiahe is a great place to buy name brand clothing such as Columbia and North Face, although they might not always be as authentic as they appear.

Also just a quick personal note:
Thanks for all of the birthday wishes! Sadly we still haven't been able to access Facebook while here in China because it’s blocked. For those that are interested, Jordan took me out for a nice Chinese meal (egg fried rice, a spicy beef and potato dish, and a shredded spicy pork dish) then afterwards we picked up a piece of cake from a nearby bakery.

We're super happy to hear that people have so far enjoyed our photos and blog; we enjoy putting it together since it helps us to narrow down the hundreds/thousands of photos that we take to only the best.

Take care,
Kathie & Jordan



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

KathieKathie
Kathie

Freezing while waiting for the sun to come up.


24th October 2010

Happy Belated Birthday!
Hey guys, and Happy Birthday Kathie!!! Amazing photos. Lindsey and I are very jealous as we have really wanted to see the bordering counties of the Himalayas for some time and have been talking about it lately since the wedding is all done and we're back to our home lives. When you leave China if you want to see any wedding photos there are a few on facebook; we had an amazing time and lucked out with the weather. It was great to see everyone together and having fun. Looks like the trip has been amazing! I hope you guys are both well and enjoying the adventures and experiences! Take care, Scott & Linds

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb