Crowded Classes and Pyramid Plates


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Chongqing
May 11th 2011
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was an early morning but have no fear we were up at 6am? Without even trying? Ugh! We were ready to embark on our first school visit. The school was just around the corner from our hotel and affiliated with the University. It.Blew.Our.Minds! This giant school, located on a small plot of land in the middle of the city, was astonishing and unlike anything you would see in Canada. Due to the temperate climate the school has a open air concept? All the hallways are outside and the school is a confusing labyrinth 7 stories high. When we reached the school the groups were divided into two parts each sitting in on different elementary classes. Each class was packed with at least 50 students who were the most well behaved students I have ever seen….seriously! After the first period we were confused when the entire school ran outside for gym? Dancing? Marching? …by this we mean there was a giant flash-mob taking over their playground with well-rehearsed and choreographed routine (teachers included). The students were so well behaved…seriously…you’ll have to see our pictures/videos.
After coming back from the elementary school we had some down time before we had a present wrapping party extraordinaire! We brought University of Windsor souvenirs for all of the faculty members, mentors and student buddies. All of these had to be wrapped and Alexandra eagerly volunteered for the task. It didn’t actually take that long to wrap 200 presents as our efficiency astonishes even us! In the afternoon we walked down to the lecture hall for our welcoming Ceremony and gift exchange. We each received a University of Southwest t-shirt and a fan featuring scary faces (eek!)
After the ceremony our mentors came back to our hotel for quite the elaborate dinner. The food just kept on coming…and coming…and coming. Not even kidding! Its Chinese tradition to stack dishes on top of dishes when there isn’t enough space on the table. There is that much food! During our pyramid dinner Alexanda and Chantelle were brave enough to try Jellyfish. Then, they brought out the microphone, and suddenly it was an acapella karaoke fest! With full, full, full stomachs and enough singing for a lifetime, we went to bed.
Another day over.
TWWBSMEIIWWIE count 19 (hey! we’re getting good at this).


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb