Visit to Middle and Elementary School


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
June 22nd 2006
Published: June 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Whitney Houston sings I believe that children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. ...

This perfectly describes what we saw at two schools today. Keep in mind that the schools we saw today were the best of the best, teaching the brightest of the brightest and being taught by the best of the best. If they meant to impress...they succeeded.

Our first visit was with Beijing No. 8 Middle School. This school teaches 2500 students. There are about 40 students per class. The teachers are paid about $10,000 per year. The students are engaged and bright. We visited with the principal for about an hour who had an interpreter. He said there are three things that are focused on currently in the school. That is driving, (note previous email comment on drivers), computer skills, and English. Very interesting combination don't you thing? Students wear uniforms and are not allowed to date until they are in college, though we all know they do date because one student confessed that her boyfriend had dropped her recently.

The school was nice, but I don't remember anything making it memorable as far as infrastructure. We visited an English teacher's class and watched her teach. She now...she was remarkable. It was very obvious she loves her students and they love her back.

After this we had lunch, I think I have commented on food enough for now, and then to Beijing Yumin Primary School. This has students from first to sixth grade. When we entered either in small groups or individually we were greeted by clapping and "Welcome to our School" by little uniformed seven year olds. They were also waving and saying "Hello".

We were then greeted by a teacher and led to the conference room. This conference room was full of overstuffed leather chairs. There were over 40 in just our group and there twice to three time that many chairs left. They offered us beverages (nonalcoholic) and we talked with the pincipal for a while. There were several things after that that are worth noting.

*There was a presentation of 900 students who exercised for 25 minutes in perfect unison. I believe they were 3, 4, and 5 graders.
*The teachers have an exercise room with a ping pong table, exercise equipment and get this two massage chairs.
*There is a room where they can get their hair washed and cut.
*A second conference room as nice as the first though not as big.
*An eating area for teachers only.
*The students and teachers gave a presentation that was nothing short of professional. They perfomed many chinese dances complete with professional looking costumes. They received many standing ovations from our group. Words fail to describe how well it was done, so I will not try. I will try to post some pictures later.
*After the talent show, each child presented each of us with a gift. Because there were so many children there were multiple gifts.
*A banner about 50 feet long was presented to us that the students had done. We were asked to sign it and then EVERYONE, performers, teachers, and us, got on the stage and had our picture taken.

As we left the children lined the hall and waved and shouted goodbye. The lined the lower halls, they lined the street and the teachers and the principal shook our hands and waved us away.

It was pretty powerful.

Changing from our dress clothes to streetware in the allotted 15 minutes we were whisked off to Hutong Hutongfor a traditional rickshaw ride and then supper in a traditional home. We were broken into groups so we could fit into the homes.

While this may have been where the couple lived, I don't believe it was a traditioanl house because it had a western toilet and not the traditional eastern toilet.

Well I better go it is 2:42 and I have to be up about 7. Not bad, but I need to get to it.

I will have to post the pictures when I return.







Advertisement



22nd June 2006

China
It sounds like you are having a truely amazing time. I hope you can put the pictures up from the schools. I would love to see them!!
23rd June 2006

Blog Access in Xi'an
Sounds like you’ve had another full day. We hope you’ll have internet access at the hotel in Xi’an so we can view any pictures and read about new adventures. I’ll drink a glass of Southern style sweet tea for you since you can’t find any. Do they serve Green Tea? Allen
23rd June 2006

control
Sounds like the kids are in the armed forces....uniforms, obedience, manners, AND I LIKE THAT!
23rd June 2006

WOW!
WOW! That trip sounds awesome. I wish our schools had massage chairs and places to get our hair fixed. I also think that it was really impressive that the people of the school were so welcoming and friendly. I would have loved to see the Chinese dances. I can't wait to see the pictures! Heather Taylor, CIS 110
23rd June 2006

Schools
I think it's incredible that you're there. The schools sound very impressive. Especially that so many students exercise in unison and are so well behaved.
24th June 2006

Teacher's Salary
Your comment about a teacher at No. 8 Middle School only making about $10,000 per year was quite shocking. I thought our teachers here in the states were paid poorly!! The Talent Show sounded wonderful. Children performing can be powerful and very moving. Enjoy the moments!
27th June 2006

Cis 110
enjoying watching this unfold. i would have tried the egg too. and any other food that was thrown my way. just you being there has sparked an information flow for our class. im learning more things about china than i am about excel. but its good though. your reviews of each day are very nice to read. enjoy everything you encounter. You are living it for our class! thank you!!!!!
27th June 2006

middle school
I find it interesting that education was focused on driving. I guess they see this as an intregal part of their future. Also, 40 children in a classroom seems like alot of work for one teacher.
12th October 2006

Your visit to the Schools
The USA could use a Educational System to model after. Have you thought about e-mailing this Blog to our State and Local Goverenment; Since it is ELECTION time!
12th October 2006

Discipline
Our schools could use a more discipline, and our teachers more pampering.

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb