Day 4 - 798 Art District and the Silk Street Market


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
June 30th 2011
Published: June 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Due to rain in Beijing, we were forced to switch our plans for the Great Wall until Saturday. Today, we went to the 798 Art District which features modern Chinese art and shopping. There were many sculptures and paintings to look at, as well as music to listen to.

The Silk Market was probably the most interesting experience yet. The marketplace had everything including, clothing, jewelry, artwork, and sports equipment. It was much different than in the United States because you could barter for the items that you would like to purchase. The salespeople were trained in many different languages, by which they try to get you to buy their goods. I usually was approached by someone saying, "Hey pretty lady, you buy?" You will also hear "I give you good price." This entire experience was very uncomfortable for me. Although I did buy a few things including a scroll within painting on it, and pearl earrings. Using Chinese money was difficult, not in actually paying for things, but because of the conversion. Even with the conversion it is evident that goods in China are much cheaper than they would be in the United States.

Today I had two first time experiences in China. First, I crossed a busy street. While it would not seem like such a feat in the United States, it was terrifying in China. Bikes, motorcycles, cars, and buses all competing to get where they need to go in a somewhat orderly fashion. Pedestrians do not seem to have the right of way, and often you will find people and bikes in between cars if they do not cross the road in time. Second, I used a “squatter” toilet for the first time, ironically inside a McDonald’s. It was a different experience.

Tonight we are going out to dinner, and tomorrow we are going to the Summer Palace.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

In honor of my upcoming wedding...In honor of my upcoming wedding...
In honor of my upcoming wedding...

Weddings seem to be very important in China. We saw many photo sessions of brides and grooms.


30th June 2011
Sculpture - Bride and Groom

That sculpture looks very pretty.
30th June 2011
Red and Yellow are popular colors throughout 798

Those look very interesting,pretty, and cool.
30th June 2011
In honor of my upcoming wedding...

That dress looks very pretty.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb