Day 3 - Beijing, China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Forbidden City
June 29th 2011
Published: June 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

My first Chinese breakfastMy first Chinese breakfastMy first Chinese breakfast

Much different then American breakfast.
Today was my first encounter with a Chinese breakfast. We ate breakfast at the hotel and found it to be much different than a typical American breakfast. There were vegetables, rice, and different types of bread with filling. Even though I was missing my traditional cereal, I am taking a liking to the porridge which is like watery oatmeal.

The group journeyed to the Jingshan Park before going to the Forbidden City. We were able to see Chinese people dancing outside in the park to music for exercise. We also saw people ribbon dancing. After climbing up to the top area of the park we saw the Forbidden City for the first time. It was impressive to see something so large that was built many thousands of years ago, but it was hard to get a complete grasp on the immensity of the palace because the smog was so severe.

Once we walked down from the high point of the park, using very tiny stairs, we entered the Forbidden City through the rear entrance. We were able to go through many courtyards, and see many of the buildings that were used by the emperors. Many of the rooms were set up for people to look at. My favorite part of the Forbidden City was the architecture, and many of the artifacts that we were able to see in the museum section. The painting on the buildings is very ornate. One of the questions I have is about whether or not they renovate the buildings and touch up the paint, because it looks to be brand new.

After the Forbidden City we went to the China Opera House. It is a very impressive, modern, and expansive building. We were able to hear three opera singers performing, and got to see the concert hall.

Our last adventure on the third day in Beijing was watching a Kung Fu show. It was very lively and exhilarating. While it is put on for tourists, it did give everyone an idea of what Kung Fu is, and gave us a chance to relax in an air conditioned room.

I am looking forward tomorrow the most, because we are going to be climbing the Great Wall!



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb