Our Last Day in Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Michael is still learning to use chopsticks :)Michael is still learning to use chopsticks :)Michael is still learning to use chopsticks :)

He's getting better at it! We were eating Peking duck here.
Today is our last day in Beijing; tomorrow we will leave for Changchun, and will arrive at around 9:30 in the morning.
The tours have been really interesting. The day before yesterday we went to the Summer Palace, Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City, and the Temple of Heaven. It was a lot to do in one day! Our tour guide, Juli, would stop quite a bit to tell us the history of everything. I love Chinese history- China has such an old civilization, I feel like I can always learn something new!

At the Forbidden City a lot of people wanted to take pictures with me- it was really weird! Michael thought it was hilarious though! The tour guide was like "Your wife is really popular" haha!

Yesterday we went to the Great Wall, and it was really really hot. Like 32 degrees (Celsius- lol we are trying to get used to using it!). About half way through I got really sick from the heat and started moving realllly slowly. I felt like I was going to pass out! Anyways, after the great wall we skipped the Ming Tombs and went back to the hotel to get Ibuprofen that
On the Great wall!On the Great wall!On the Great wall!

Michael was doing a lot better than me :).
we brought with us. I felt really bad about having to skip out on the tombs, but I also didn't want to throw up in the car. After the hotel we went to the art district to look at some paintings and sculptures. We bought some hilarious postcards that we will be sending out to a special few.

So far Michael is really enjoying China, and that makes me really happy. I was worried that maybe he wouldn't be able to adapt or would just hate it, but it couldn't be more of the opposite. Right now he is playing a game on the DS that helps you learn Chinese.

Anyways, we have got to get ready for our last day in Beijing-- we will update again when we are in Changchun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Forbidden CityForbidden City
Forbidden City

Here we are right outside the Forbidden City.
Silk FactorySilk Factory
Silk Factory

We stopped by a silk factory to see how it was made. Here the tour guide was showing us how strong it is.
Summer PalaceSummer Palace
Summer Palace

Michael in front of some lily pads at the Summer Palace. There is a huge lake here that you can take a boat ride on!
Tienanmen SquareTienanmen Square
Tienanmen Square

In Tienanmen Square facing the Forbidden City.
Temple of HeavenTemple of Heaven
Temple of Heaven

Here we are at the Temple of Heaven. All of the roofs are blue because the sky is blue and thus close to heaven.
Great view of the great wallGreat view of the great wall
Great view of the great wall

As you can see... it is a pretty steep climb up. Some of the steps were over a foot tall.


24th August 2009

Have fun on your last day
Glad to hear you're having fun on the tour and glad Big Mike doesn't hate it, but I don't think Big Mike would out right hate it. That would be hilarious if he walked around being pissed about being there. Sad that you couldn't go visit the tomb, but hey you can do it when your parents come, or when we visit. Jealous that I could not have also gone on this trip, but also jealous that I could not have been there for the history lesson I am going to major in history and minoring in Asian studies, damn you! Awesome pics and hope to hear about your last day, by the way enjoy Beihei park, or what ever it is called. P.S. Peking duck is great and if you hate it, **** you!!
24th August 2009

Truly Amazing Pictures
Geneva and Mike, It looks like you are having so much fun on your new adventure in China. Be sure to take a lot of pictures in Changchun. Love, Mom.
24th August 2009

Miss you guys!
We will defn. be taking a lot of pictures! And doug- you should be jealous LOL- nah I'm just kidding. It will be really cool if you're able to visit us. We'll be able to make our own itinerary by then hopefully ;)
28th August 2009

hey guys, im glad you both made it safe and even found your luggage! thats an impressive feat, most people lose it within their own state. you, however, went across the world and kept your belongings. /applaud. as for all the places you went to, im sorta jealous cause they all seem pretty sweet. was the silk made by underage childrens? keep updating so i know how things are going

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb