Finally made it


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 21st 2009
Published: August 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Geneva:
Woohoo! We finally made it to Beijing. But let me tell ya'...it wasn't easy.

We started in the DTW, got there at about 3:30 AM and ended up having to pay a rediculous amount of money for our overweight bags. We had 2 layovers, one in Chicago and one in Vancouver. The Chicago layover went fine, we found our flight in time and didn't have to transfer our luggage over. The problem was that once we boarded it was announced that our plane was having technical problems, and we weren't able to fly out for another hour. Because of the delay, we landed in Vancouver the same time our plane to Beijing was boarding. Luckily everyone on the plane was really nice and let us run off past them in an attempt to catch our flight. Ofcourse our terminal had to be all the way on the other side of the airport past customs. We didn't want to give up, so we ran like hell to our terminal. As we were nearing the gate we heard our names announced over the speakers telling us that it was our last chance to board. Lucky for us we made it on time!

Unfortunatley... our luggage was not so lucky.

After we arrived in the Beijing airport and made it through customs we realized at the baggage claim that our luggage did not make it. Despite the phenomenal service provided at the Detroit airport (hardy har har) the lady that checked our luggage failed to give us a baggage claim ticket. So there was no way for the airport to send us our luggage by matching up the claim ticket number. Fortunately, I was able to work my Chinglish enough to get the lost and found guy to call the Vancouver airport to attempt to locate our luggage. He found out that our luggage was sent off on the next flight to Beijing and would be there in 13 minutes!!!

Two hours later... I finally found our luggage at baggage claim. I was sooooo relieved. Remember, these are 4 very large bags with literally all of the stuff that Michael and I want to keep after moving out. All of our clothes, sentimental items, electronics, etc were in these four bags. Thank god we got them back!

Well anyways, after all of this Michael and I were quite sleepy. The only sleep either one of us have had in the past two days was on the airplane (which totaled of about 3 hours). Michael actually even got less then I did because he stayed up for 2 nights in a row before we left.
Despite us being super tired, we stuck it out and went to dinner and to see the Kung Fu show. The show was AMAZING... the only problem was we were falling asleep half way through it. Oh well, we can always go see it again when my parents visit.



Advertisement



22nd August 2009

We in china brah
Michael: aww, i was thinking in the car to one our destinations today how sometimes you would sleep in the girls rooms when you missed them at odd times. i have been so incredibly exhausted these past two days. its like i had 5 hours over the last 3 days. whihc is actually pretty accurate. last night i was falling alseep everywhere i sat down to the point that our tour guide and geneva were laughing at me. our hotel room is prety good . the beds are like rocks though, which apparently soft to them . geneva told me beds are like hardwood in most areas and our bed is like luxuriously soft in comparison. Geneva: miss you too, we'll post pictures soon.

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb