Overnight Train to Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
March 25th 2009
Published: March 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hangzhou train stationHangzhou train stationHangzhou train station

Thomas waiting for the Z10 train to Beijing.
I am writing this on the train from Hangzhou to Beijing. It is about 8pm, and we are all drifting into sleep. Had another fit of the giggles in our group as we loaded onto the train and found our sleeping car. Not sure what we had in mind, but it certainly must have been something bigger than this!! We have 4 bunks, an upper and lower on each side of a 2-foot aisle. We loaded ourselves in, complete with all 6 suitcases, and could not even turn around! We must have been a spectacle given they looks we were attracting! We finally managed to slide bags under the seat and in a storage shelf above the bunks, and settled in for the overnight trip. Should be fun! We’ll see how we feel at 6 am tomorrow morning!

Richard and I spent most of the day with the Zhejiang Center for Disease Control (ZJCDC) staff. We gave presentations in the morning, which were quite a challenge because we presented in English, but they were translated to Chinese for the audience. To do this, we had to pause with each slide and wait for the translator (one of the ZJCDC staff)
Tight bunks!Tight bunks!Tight bunks!

Things were a little tighter than we expected. T and Auntie Dawn got the top bunks, Grandma and Jeff in the bottom. Baggage was stowed wherever we could find a spot!
to understand what we said, then translate the meaning to Chinese! This took twice as long, of course, and kept us from having any rhythm in our talks. Nonetheless, the audience, and our hosts, were very appreciative. In the afternoon, the ZJCDC staff presented to us on their work in diabetes surveillance or diabetes management projects that they have undertaken. Many differences, many similarities. It was clear that our hosts are looking for opportunities to partner and exchange ideas, but also to find places for external training. At the end of the meeting, I was handed a few CVs for “young and motivated” epidemiologists!

While we had our meetings, Mommom, Dawn and Thomas went shopping in Hangzhuo. The morning was spent at the Silk Market, which is open market for all things silk, scarves, dresses, etc. The ZJCDC office arranged one of their staff to guide them through the experience; ‘Barry’ was his English nickname; he was a wonderful support. Apparently Barry was such a good sport, he even helped the ladies barter and in selecting dress sizes!! In the afternoon, more shopping was found at Hangzhuo Tower, a higher end department store, with 9 floors! All kinds of
Chinese countrysideChinese countrysideChinese countryside

The countryside is not as attractive as other train rides - not much open space at all! Nice flower on the table!
shoes and clothing; even Thomas was impressed!

We arrive in Beijing in the morning, and hope to see our hotel before heading out to explore. Can’t wait to update you on the sites, sounds and smells of Beijing! All for now. - J



Advertisement



25th March 2009

Train Trip
That compartment looks pretty tight, I was wondering about what size it would be - hopefully everyone got a good night's sleep anyway!

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb