Remainder of Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
February 1st 2008
Published: February 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The remainder of Beijing was interesting to say the least. Of course we visited specific sites like the Forbidden City (which until recently had a Starbucks in side it... go figure!) and Tiananmen Square. One of my favorite parts was the Peking Duck; more affectionately called Beijing Caoya (Peking is the British name for Beijing back in the day). Definitely an AMAZING meal!

Much of the Forbidden City is under construction because of all the renovation for the Olympics. However that did not really discredit the incredible vastness of the city and where the emperor used to live. In much of Chinese architecture there are high thresholds in doorways due to an ancient belief that ghosts could only move in straight lines. You can see the remainder but many of these thresholds were taken down because one emperor wanted to ride his bike through the city. The day we visited was REALLY cold. I still can’t believe that the emperor lived in this cold place. Personally I would have picked somewhere warmer!

Everything is being revamped including subways. The government is doing an overhaul to the city. This, however, is making it harder to get my grubby little hands
on counterfeit products. But there are still a variety of markets selling factory backdoor prices including the silk market. I've personally bought a hoodie and a pair of Uggs because I forgot mine at home (oops!).

Our hotel was the most ridiculous thing I've seen. It had a Japanese name (otani) but had western breakfast and paid these poor elderly people to do Tai'chi outside the breakfast room window in the garden. It was quite a mix of ideals, practices and realities. One early Sunday morning we went to the Temple of Heaven. On weekends many people come there to do Tai'qi, sing, dance (usually salsa), play cards... all sorts of random activities. The temple itself was amazing and I plan to go back again!

We also learned some calligraphy, which I learned, is probably not promising as a profession for me. I should stick to other forms of art I think. Another day we spent touring downtown Beijing. We visited the Hutongs. The Hutongs were the old wealthy homes before the communist revolution throughout the centuries. After the Cultural Revolution and resultant of the economic push and growth the Hutongs are being destroyed. These are homes which
NOTHING like what most of us are used to. Additionally the correct way to drink tea even here is rarely followed, which is something we learned from the bell tower.

Next we went to Shanghai... on a 12 hour direct over-night train. That was an adventure in itself.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Rickshaws to the HutongRickshaws to the Hutong
Rickshaws to the Hutong

yep.. they still exist


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb