The Great Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
January 30th 2008
Published: February 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

There are moments in individual lives which come together to form the experiences that make who we are. We see great works of art and our worlds, perspectives and realities change. My visit to The Great Wall was nothing short of incredible. I could feel the Pain emanating from the stones meticulously placed one by one. I could see the blood, sweat, skin, memory and regret left upon the edifice. Countless lives were spent constructing this wall over 2,000 years for the sake of national protection. These lives were forgotten, nameless and discarded. And yet this remarkable feat, marked by many deaths, many stones and many footprints was constructed on the backs of the discarded lives. This work of art represents the essence of China to the outside world.

On our bus to the Great Wall one student said, "You don't come all the way to China not to see the Great Wall." As large as it is the Wall is a microcosm of China. It represents the economic and structural prowess but perhaps forgets the personal and individual strife. Such is the structure of the wall. Constructed by millions yet attributed to many emperors and specifically for the defense of the united nation by the first emperor in the Qin dynasty.

I sat in awe of all the men taken from their homes and forced to building this mammoth structure regarding their sacrifice as worthless. And yet there is something to be said about the resulting structure of their sacrifice. The sacrifices have made a literal imprint protruding from the earth large enough to see from space. Personally I've given up some key things in my life to come to China, although I'll admit there were some incredible incentives as well. There sacrifices will be nothing compared to what I'll have at the end of the journey. I certainly expect this journey to leave an impression upon my soul, my character and my mind just as the Great Wall leaves its mark on China and the Earth.

The death resulting and subsequent from the construction of the wall, including that of the foreigners trying to take Beijing and those constructing the wall that still lay inside, make up a greater meaning only truly tangible long after we have past. It calls into question the things individuals of this age can do to affect the world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



3rd February 2008

Photos
Hi Ashley Great photos and experience. How many miles did you have to walk? Sigrid
4th February 2008

Honestly Sigrid... I have no idea... It felt like a whole lot more because it was straight up!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb