Spoiled by Stars


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
October 24th 2005
Published: October 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

spoiled by stars, Five stars that is. Presidential Plaza Beijing is my address thank you very much. If that sounds hoity toity, that's because it is. Like Mohonk Mountain House (Amy and Linda), around every corner, we let out squeals (maybe John doesn't) of delight as we discover yet some other example of five stars. I won't bore everyone with extensive description of hotel but i wander down every day before seven to the pool, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, fitness center area with thick Turkish robe to open my personal locker fitted with 2 towels and flip flops. what a way to start the day. i am not a fish out of water but a fish in water.

3 days here and leaving tomorrow. hardly remember the travel night mare of 30 hours in transit consecutively that is. i don't recommend it but had no choice as this is the arrangement Odysseys made for us. Newark to L.A. to Shanghai to Beijing. You can get here from there by direct flight by Continental but we flew China Eastern with Chinese pilots and flight attendants and beige food - noodles for lunch, rice for dinner. it wasn't bad, just not good. since that introduction we have made up for that many times over with lotus root, bean curd, fried tofu, congee (rice soup for breakfast), and many things we have never eaten previously.

well i am paying for the minutes here so i will say "peace out." just wanted to check in and report safe arrival of Taylors in China. my twin even tracked me down with a call to my hotel. what a nice surprise to have a blinking light on my phone. of course i was out.

days start early and end late as our plush tour bus pulls up on the sidewalk to cater to 24 of us "ugly americans."

more from margi at next stop which is the ancient capitol, Xi'an.

hope you can hit some links and visit places we have been - Tiannamen Square, the Forbidden City, etc.

margi

Advertisement



24th October 2005

living the high life
i remember lynn's stories of traveling in china...sounds like you are having a wonderful time...from one ugly american to another...peace out!!!
24th October 2005

Are you speaking Chinese yet?
Have you ridden a rickshaw? Glad to hear from you;glad you got to rest and go in the pool and eat new things.Have fun traveling to Xian and seeing the terra cotta soldiers!Cold wave finally arrived here; 38 tomorrow a.m.!Brrr!No more kayaking for awhile. Don't steal the robe!:)
24th October 2005

Ni Hao!
The West Coast team just wanted to check in and say hi. We were anxiously awaiting your 1st blog from China! Glad to hear you're living in the lap of luxury. Make sure to eat some 'ma po to fu' while you're there, mmm mmm. Will wants to know how John is reacting to the tofu. Try some fish flavored eggplant, too. Not to worry as it's not actually fish flavored, the name's just to fool the tourists :). xoxoxo
25th October 2005

Glad to hear you made it!
Glad to hear you are there and are being spoiled! Remember we've already fed you tofu and you liked it! :) We just got back from the house, Ben took me hiking on the appalacian trail and the Tia had a fabulous time running the lengths of the soccer field. The plants are still alive, although I think I scared one timid 14yr old when he came to water, let's just say a head full of hair dye and clothing of a white towel. yikes. Looking forward to more blogs- Ben and Julie

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb