Jet setting


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
October 25th 2005
Published: October 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

have jet setted from Beijing to Xi'an where the terra cotta warriors are the main attraction. tomorrow we bus there after walking the ancient city wall and visiting a few pagodas. 18 different kinds of dumplings for lunch today - i am going to turn in to one. Tang dynasty cultural show tonight at a dinner theater. wonderful costumes, sets, music. again, too much food.

we are all getting worn down as i think adrenaline has been exhausted. every one is still getting along however. we jet set again thursday morning. yikes i need to get time to wash clothes, perhaps when we go in to enforced hibernation in our rooms for a day in Lhasa to get acclimatized to 13,000 feet.

Shaanxi History Museum was a highlight today. John really enjoyed the very stuff that is photographed in his textbook. oldest stuff i've seen - some from neolithic periods. loved seeing a pure gold bowl, the size of a large salad bowl.

hope you are getting links and looking round at things Chinese.

most amazing thing is to watch what people carry on bikes - a 12 foot high stack of styrofoam, coal, corn, etc. could see gold roofs from the air - that is, corn drying.

hope to check in tomorrow and hear from some more of you.
love,
margi in china

Advertisement



25th October 2005

The warriors
Hello, I bet the soldiers were a sight to see! Glad to hear everyone is getting along and the show should be awesome, bet it beats broadway! Keep us posted.
25th October 2005

hi from pawling!
Hi John and Margi! great to 'hear' from you and know that you're safe and sound, and pretty comfy judging from the last posting, Margi... are the links you speak of in the geography and flag or are there more? amy
25th October 2005

Elevation
Drink Water, water, water essential to high altitude. Maybe you can learn how to make all those different dumplings so we can have a dumpling picnic next year at camp. In fact now, I'm counting on it.
26th October 2005

Putting on the Ritz
Glitzy, ritzy, ditzy, Star Dumpling, you don't have to try all 18 types, ya know :0) The glitzy is for the gold bowl sighting, the ritzy for jet setting and fancy hotels, the ditzy, well.... and the rest you know. Wilma hit Boston with rain today; collided with a Nor' Easter. Flooding in Key West, etc. Take care; you're in our prayers. Encountered any "squat" pots yet? Hi to John. All for now!
26th October 2005

Kuzu-debo-yin-be?
Lhasa for "How are you?" Me shi means, "I don't understand", in Chinese, and, of couse, "nihao", hello. I read this stuff in journal blogs of a traveler to Tibet; he is into all the monk stuff. I looked at the blog photo site as well. You find all this at the general website, not at your individual one. Back to mundane housecleaning. Your blogs perk me up from my ordinary life here. :) Enjoy the extraordinary trip you are on!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 4; ; mem: 1.1mb