BEIJING RECOLLECTIONS


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
January 1st 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Summer PalaceSummer PalaceSummer Palace

Pretty in summer, icy in winter. Kind of like a Versaille or maybe a Camp David, Emperors used this retreat location to escape the harsh "concrete" of the Forbidden City.


Like the muted memories of a honeymoon, our Beijing experiences reverberate through my mind in a jumble of sounds, sights, stories, and reflections. Dry from the winds blowing off the Gobi desert, Beijing is deceptively cold. The countryside seems foreign to a Michiganian accustomed to seeing snow without ice frozen waterways. Here, all water is frozen yet the ground is brown and dry. I’m told that once you’re cold in Beijing, it’s very hard to warm up again. We all agree. Feeling like wimps as we observe the locals going about their business wearing many layers of thermals but only thin gloves and hats. We can’t seem to pile on enough clothing.

So many sights to see here as it is has been the capital since 1644 and had a rich history even prior to that time. What would Chairman Mao think of us “hicks from the sticks” passing by and observing his preserved body in the casket? How would the emperors and commoners feel about us traipsing through gates once reserved only for the most noble? And how did they build the Temple of Heaven entirely without nails? Amazing.

Our adventures in eating took us to
Kirsten's carKirsten's carKirsten's car

The perfect economy vehicle for the poor college student. Must get over 100mpg with this beauty and talk about maneuverability in traffic....
several venues, but our favorite was the famous Beijing Peking Duck dinner. Cut tableside and served head and all, this was surprisingly juicy and tasteful. We’re told that the duck used to make Peking duck must be exactly 60 days old, but we think there must be many more requirements than that. How do they get the outside skin so crispy that it melts in your mouth when dipped in the sugar crystals? Yet, the meat is juicy and tender. When wrapped in the accompanying pancake and dipped in sauce, topped with cucumber, radish, or onion - Oh My Gosh!!! I could never recreate this at home and served for only around $25 for all 5 of us - including dessert and drinks (DON’T try the paw paw juice!) - I don’t think I ever will.

Touring the long, flat homes of the Hutongs via rickshaw puts us up close with the local way of life. Good to see before it may be gone, replaced by high rise apartment buildings. We understand their lifestyle more fully as we dine around a round table for a homestyle lunch served in the home of a Hutong family. In many ways they’re
Hutongs via rickshawHutongs via rickshawHutongs via rickshaw

Pedal, pedal, pedal, pedal, pedal...Now this is the way to see the neighborhood. Slow for close up viewing, amazingly smooth considering we're pulled by a strong legged cyclist, warm from the lap blanket and the other passenger, a panoramic view, and stops as frequently as we wish. Very fun!
not so different from us. Just like my dear Dad, they even use chairs on the ice to help those beginner skaters to keep from fallin on their fannies.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

People of ChinaPeople of China
People of China

This statue contains representations of the many people of China. It is located outside of the mausoleum housing Chairman Mao's body.
Another cute kidAnother cute kid
Another cute kid

Chinese babies are just oh so cute!
Yummy duck brains!Yummy duck brains!
Yummy duck brains!

Well, we tried the chicken feet - and liked 'em surprisingly enough - but duck head was a bit too much. This morsel got no closer to her mouth than you see in the photo!
All lined up and waiting for customersAll lined up and waiting for customers
All lined up and waiting for customers

The chairs were gathered on the edge of the ice to be used when needed by unsteady skaters. Dad, little did you know that you and the Chinese are like minded on this one!


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb