We made it to Beijing!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
October 16th 2017
Published: October 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well it is 11:01 PM on Monday night and we still have not had any sleep. Amazing! We were dropped at the Toronto Airport at 11:50 Sunday morning and it took about an hour for us to get checked in and head through security and have a bite to eat before starting to board at 2:05. The plane was a 777-300 with 400 passengers. The total length of the trip from TO to Beijing was 11218 km. Not a short jaunt!

We were treated well by the crew. We were served a delicious dinner about 4:45 which included two choices and wine, beer or other liquor, all complimentary. Needless to say we were surprised and pleased. About 8 we tried to settle down to sleep but neither of us were very successful but did close our eyes. Another meal was served about midnight which was like a noodle soup but neither of us induldged. The last meal was served about 1:30 and was supposed to be breakfast which was an egg omelette. Just OK.

The plane touched down at 3:35, about 25 minutes early. We deplaned and headed for Foreign Immigration. The lines were long and it took until almost 5 to retrieve our luggage and go through Customs again. Sure have to keep that passport handy, even to check into the hotel.

We met the Sinorama guide but there were two people missing who were coming in from Vancouver so she wanted to wait for them. People were getting very perturbed having been up for many hours and wanting to get to the hotel.. Finally about 7 PM she relented and we boarded the bus and left the two stragglers behind to find their way by taxi. We arrived at the hotel about 8, were given our keys and headed for our room. It is very nice. Quite spacious with a love seat, coffee table, desk, TV with no English channels, big bathroom where everything imaginable is supplied including robe, slippers, toothbrush, comb and toiletries.

We thought we should find something to eat so we had seen several restaurants nearby so wandered into one and asked, with much difficulty, if we could take it out. The way we translated was using the waitresses IPhone with a translator app. I typed the question in English and it translated it into Chinese and she responded on the IPhone. After quite a rigamarole we chose three things , paid, and waited. She asked if we wanted her to bring it to the hotel. Too funny!!

Back to the room to "enjoy" our supper, call home which I did successfully on Skype, and finally get into bed.

Our first day of our Asian Adventure was a long one but successful. So far I have only lost one thing- my jacket. Must have left it in the TO airport when we had lunch. I was sure I had put it in my backpack but it is not there, even though we must have searched through it at least 5 times. Maybe somebody pick pocketed it! ( I doubt it),

Advertisement



16th October 2017

Monday
Well, it wouldn't be a holiday until one thing was lost, would it be mom?!! Hopefully, that will be all you lose! You might need that jacket! I can't wait to read your next blog!! Have fun!
17th October 2017

Sounds like you are off to a good start
Thanks for update. Enjoy this awesome adventure u two
17th October 2017

pictures to follow
Barb did an amazing start to the blog given our arduous first day!! Pictures to follow today!! Stay tuned!

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb