Teaching us Brits how to queue


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Tian'anmen
July 28th 2010
Published: July 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Apparently Tian'anmen square is the biggest 'square' of its type - while it looks pretty large I am not convinced that it necessarily is the worlds largest but where China does seem to beat the rest of us hands down is with their queues and all round crowd control.

Popped in to see Chairman Mao - apparently he has been pickled - he was bathed in this strange orange light and thousands of people came to show their respects laying flowers, while all this was going on I was more intrigued by the queue which took about an hour from start to end - this was no alton towers queue - at a guess I would say it was about a mile long and snaked round the square. Being part of the queue had its dangers, namely making sure you kept time, not falling out with the many officials and avoiding the sharp ends of parasols which were everywhere. I lived t tell the tale and then trotted off for a more sedate afternoon at the Summer Palace where I enjoyed a leisurely boat ride.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Suzhou streetSuzhou street
Suzhou street

riverside walkway shops in the summer palace mimicing Jiangsu canal town


2nd August 2010

sounds fab
Pics and blogs great sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Make sure you absorb it all! Missing you! XXXXx

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb