Tiananmen Square, Travel Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Tian'anmen
July 1st 2008
Published: July 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Tiananmen Square is the largest square in the world. Thousands of people come to the Square every day.

Reasons to go there


First of all: this place is really really huge! It is an astounding place and a spot to linger and see visitors from all over China, many visiting their capital for the first time. For us, there is no better place to get the true modern feel of Beijing.

You can visit Tiananmen Tower, Monument to the People’s Heroes, Great Hall of the People, Mao Zedong Memorial Hall and see the national flag raising ceremony. Tiananmen Square is worth a visit on your Trip to Beijing. Don’t miss this attraction!

Helpful Tips


The Tiananmen Square has become a relaxing place for the chinese people to fly kites and walk. On a holiday, the whole square is covered with fresh flowers.

Beijing is a very safe city. However, tourists are often preyed upon by cheats and touts around Tiananmen Square.

How to get there


Getting to Tiananmen Square is best done by subway or walking as taxis are not really allowed to stop anywhere near it. The are two subway stations on line 1, Tiananmen East (116) and Tiananmen West (117). They are both inconveniently situated a 5 to 7 minute walk away from the center of the square so there is no best station.

Additional Infos


The present Tiananmen Square has an area of 440,000 square meters.

It has great cultural significance as a symbol because it was the site of several key events in Chinese history. Tiananmen Square has been the site of a number of political events and student protests. These include the proclamation of the People’s Republic of China by Mao Zedong on October 1, 1949; annual mass military displays on all subsequent National Days until October 1st 1959; the 1984 military parade for the 35th anniversary of the People’s Republic of China and the 50th anniversary in 1999; and for mass rallies during the Cultural Revolution. The protests of 1989 resulted in the massacre of Chinese protesters in the streets to the west of the square and adjacent areas. Some Western reporters who were on the square during the unfolding events reported that they saw no one actually die on the square itself, though did see bloodied people but could not confirm whether they were either dead or injured.

Photos of Tiananmen Square


We postet all our photos of the Tiananmen Square at findoutwheretogo.com.

Tip: How to find fair priced hotels


We found our hotel using a site that offers to compare prices for a specific hotel on more than 30 booking sites. Compare hotel prices or Beijing.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb