Historic China Tour 2007


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Temple of Heaven
February 15th 2008
Published: February 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Oriental Pearl (TV Tower)Oriental Pearl (TV Tower)Oriental Pearl (TV Tower)

Brittany, Franki and I went up to the observation deck.
August 22, 2007 - Right now I’m sitting at the SWA gate B2 waiting for my plane to Chicago. It is now 10am and my flight doesn’t leave until 11:40am. I’m excited about seeing Terina and Anthony again. My flight was a little late but I finally made it to Chicago around 2pm EST (1pm Chicago time). We met Anthony at his apartment then went to The Dark Horse for dinner and drinks. We started with artichoke dip that was fabulous. I got to meet Terina’s wonderful friends, Patty, Deborah, Heather, Dave and Kim. Dinner was nice but the conversation was better. I know we are going to have a great time together on this trip.

August 23, 2007 Flight 842 Chicago to San Fran, 8am - 10:20am (4 hours 20 mins), Flight 986 San Fran to Beijing, China, 2:50pm to 5:35 pm (11 hours 45 mins). I think this was considered Day 1 of our tour. Terina and I made our way to the airport for a long day of flying. Our flight path was interesting because we went over Russia and down to China, not around and over the ocean like I originally thought. The flight was long, the seats were small and the food was Chinese. Oh did I mention that there was very little entertainment on the flight? There was a movie in the front of the plane (in the middle right in front of the 1st row). They showed one movie that was in English, Bridge to Terabithia. The other movies were in Chinese but the subtitles were below the seats so I couldn’t see it. Airline food usually is not the best anyway but then when you add it being from another culture, it makes for a bad experience. When we arrived in China it was August 24, Day 2 of our tour. We met our national guide Yang Cheng; his name for Americans is Michael Young. On the way to the hotel, he taught us a little Chinese like Ni hao is hello and Shia Shia is thank you. We checked into our room at the Jiangxi Grand Hotel and went to sleep. Jiangxi Grand Hotel (in the Fengtai district in Beijing, China) is a new business hotel. I was booked into by a China Focus group tour. The rooms were very nice--very firm beds (like most hotels in China)--baths included a separate tub and shower with slippers and a robe. Location wasn't very good but the town was accessible by taxi and they picked us up right at the door. It was only a 10 minute taxi ride to Hard Rock Café. Breakfast was a buffet with some western choices but seating was limited so we had to get there earlier the next day. Many staff--usually at least one with okay English.

August 25, 2007, this is Day 3 of our tour. We are in Beijing today. The average temperature is 76° but of course today is around 95°. I just love the heat. After breakfast, we meet up with Tony, our Beijing Tour Guide. We got up early and made our way to breakfast. We got there too late (but still early) and had to wait for a place to sit. Our first stop was to visit the picturesque Summer Palace on Kunming Lake. It was still very hot but there was more shade than at the other locations. We were able to see many beautiful things like the famous Marble Boat, the long corridor (covered) known for the length and all of the paintings on the covering, the seventeen-arch bridge and many bronze statues. Just before lunch, we visited the Pearl Market. It was a nice break. Not only was it an air conditioned jewelry store, but they also had western toilets and a place to wash our hands. I’m so spoiled living in the US. We learned how the pearls were cultured and how different chemicals in the water cause them to be different colors. I bought several bracelets, a necklace for Barb and a pair of earrings for myself. Terina bought a beautiful ring which suites her perfectly. After lunch, tour Tian’anmen Square, the world’s largest and most famous square. This was my first, and far from last, experience of the lack of social welfare in China. The square was full of people that were injured asking for donations. There were many burn victims and my heart really went out for them. We then went for a tour of the Forbidden City, where exquisite architecture and a vast glimpse of the staggeringly opulent lifestyles of the Chinese emperors and their concubines. It was very hot. The heat made touring the Forbidden City seem like an eternity. After the tour, we went to dinner and back to the hotel. The staff at Jiangxi Grand Hotel was very nice tonight. They even offered to put the stamps on my postcards; however, my postcards were never delivered so I’m not sure if they did it or not.

August 26, 2007, this is Day 4 of our tour and we are still in Beijing. After breakfast around 8am, we departed Beijing and start the day at the Jade factory. We visited the Jade Factory on a very raining day. It was nice to be inside. We were first greeted by a young girl who took us into a room to give us a lecture on Jade, how it is made, why it is important in Chinese culture, how it is being included into the 2008 Olympic Metals and most importantly (to her) how to determine its value outside of sentimental value (gift from a loved one like the inexpensive bracelet her boyfriend gave her that she adores). We watched men carving the generation balls and the woman polishing them. We visited the show room with a lot to choose from. I purchased a very small dragon that ended up costing me about $12. After learning about the Jade and shopping, we depart by motor coach to explore the Great Wall, one of the seven world wonders. It was raining very hard this day and I only made it up to the top of the second landing. The steps were very tall and steep. The rain made them very slippery as well. Even though I didn’t get to make it to the top, I did get to see it and I got a cool picture from the top of people under their umbrellas (many colors). On the bus, I ordered a stamp with my name in English and Chinese. It was Jade with a Dog on it because I was born in the Year of the Dog. On our way back, the driver took us by the construction site of the 2008 Summer Olympics and the building called the Bird’s Nest, named after the very expensive soup that is famous in China. After lunch (without the birds nest soup luckily), we took a tour of the Historic Hutong, which is protected by Beijing cultural Relics Protection Association. This was a chance to experience what China was like before high-rises and shopping malls took over a city. We were greeted by a boy who took us by rickshaw to the home of small family. They let us tour their home and told us a lot about their lives and family. Our rickshaw driver was fun and he got in a race with another one. They got in trouble but it was exciting anyway. We were also met by some very aggressive sales women. Every time we got off the bus there were people ready to sell us something. These women would not take no for an answer. They were quite rude but some of them were young and made us laugh, one in particular. When we thought we were clear of her, she came around the corner on her bike and said…“helllloooo”. Tonight, while most everyone else enjoyed a special Peking Duck Dinner, Brittany, Frankie (her Mom) and I went to Hard Rock Café for burgers, beers and souvenirs. Terina wasn’t feeling well so she stayed in and rested.

August 27, 2007, this is Day 5 of our tour. We will be traveling from Beijing to Jinan today. The Average temperature is 83° but again today it was higher but not as hot as previous days. After Breakfast, we visited the Temple of Heaven, where dynastic Chinese rulers historically worshipped the Emperor of Heaven. While we were there, someone famous was also there because the guards blocked us from seeing the temple until they were gone. Before lunch, we wondered through the People’s Park. This is a place where retired people have fun and games to keep their minds and bodies active. They also use it as a social opportunity to marry off their grandchildren. After lunch, we traveled by train (4 ½ hours) to Jinan, which is the capital of Shandong Province, and also a city of 1,000 bubbling springs and lakes (that we visit tomorrow). The train was comfortable but Michael told us it would be very cold but I found it very warm. A special dinner banquet was planned for us tonight (as usual). When we arrived at the Litian Hotel we were greeted by the welcome committee with drums and dancers. The Litian Hotel is a four star hotel located in the Jinan city center. It is close to the airport and railway station. They said it was recently redecorated. It is quite large with more than 200 guestrooms. Each room has central air conditioning system, satellite TV, mini bar and in-room safe. There are also two Chinese and western restaurants. For recreation, there is a swimming pool, gymnasium, library, bowling alley, sauna and massage center, billiards room, and night club. Now, let me be the first to tell you that the “night club” is not what we American’s think of…no, there night clubs are for men only…get my drift? If you know what floor it is on and your elevator stops there, (because a man gets on to go there) you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about based on the music alone. But we did have a great time drinking beer and bowling.

August 28, 2007, this is Day 6 of our tour. We will be traveling from Jinan to Taian and staying in the Taishan International Hotel. We had to pack up this morning before boarding the bus. After breakfast, we headed for the 1,000 bubbling springs and lakes. I really enjoyed the bubbling springs. There were two large stone sculptures of white tigers that Michael told us later that we would get an opportunity to see at the zoo. We also learned the most popular pet in china is a cricket. On our way to the hotel, we stopped by the Yellow River and it was indeed yellowish brown. There were some cute puppies there and nasty restrooms. After we checked in, we had look then headed back to the room for a nap. After our nap we took a city tour of Jinan. After lunch, we traveled by motor coach (1 ½ hours) to Taian, a quaint town at the foot of Mt. Tai. We got to enjoy the remainder of the afternoon to explore the city on our own or visit the local free market. We walked around the town and through the farmers market, which was an experience. We did a lot of people watching and they did the same. This was the town where we felt most like celebrities. We stayed in the Taishan International Hotel that was conveniently located in the city center, near the beautiful Taishan Mountain. During dinner, we purchased painted scrolls and watched an eclipse. I picked out a scroll especially for my good friend, Deanne.
There are several restaurants within the hotel, including a Chinese and Western restaurant, coffee shop and bar. For recreation, there is a sauna and massage center, night club (see above for clarification) and beauty salon.

August 29, 2007, this is Day 7 of our tour. After breakfast, we boarded the bus for Mt. Tai, one of the Five Sacred Mountains of Taoism.. We took the bus as far as it would take us, then we took a cable car ride 4,000 feet and then went up nearly 1,000 steps to visit the Summit of Mt. Tai, revered over the centuries in turn by the Taoists, Buddhists, Confucianists, and Taoists. But the effort is well worth it. Then we came back to the hotel for lunch. After lunch we went to a park and the Tiger Zoo where we saw White Tigers and their cubs just born in March. We go to feed the monkeys who seemed to like pears. Then we went back to the hotel for dinner.

August 30, 2007, this is Day 8 of our tour. The average temperature for this region is 75°. Today was in the upper 80s. After breakfast, travel by motor coach (1 ½ hours) to Qufu, home of the great Chinese philosopher, Confucius, who lived 2,500 years ago. After lunch, visit Confucius' Temple, Mansion and Forest. It was raining pretty hard again today. Terina and I managed to survive Confucius’ Temple which was treacherous. But we decided against braving the rain for the mansion and forest. I think I’m glad I did. After dinner, we made our way to the train station which was quite an experience. We boarded the train around 10pm for an overnight train ride (9 hours) to Shanghai. Terina and I shared a cabin with Frankie and Brittany. We drank beer and partied. Brittany and I slept on the top bunks. So imagine being on the top bunk, in a foreign country, on a train, and needed to visit the rest room. It wasn’t pretty but well worth the adventure.

August 31, 2007, this is Day 9 of our tour. We are now in Shanghai and we are staying in the Harbour Hotel.
We arrived in Shanghai at 6 in the morning and make our way to the hotel for breakfast. We met up with Vicki, our Shanghai Tour Guide, and went a quick tour of the city. Today's sightseeing included a City Tour and a visit to the Bund, a waterfront promenade known for its landmark, neo-classic architecture of European style. I purchased 3 name brand watches here. All of this before we got to go to our rooms and shower. I still felt like I was on the train until well after lunch. We went to the Shanghai Museum which I really enjoyed. It was air conditioned and had a lot of levels that were clearly market and was laid out nicely. Terina and I took the opportunity to have tea and cake which was delicious. After the museum we boarded the bus for the hotel where we got cleaned up, napped and got ready for our evening entertainment. We stayed in the Shanghai Harbour Hotel, surrounded by many famous universities and business centers. It is a ten-minute drive to get to various scenic spots, such as the Bund and the People's Square. Every other floor has a waiting (or rest) area, which is suitable for you to make appointment with friends and also to have a break. This evening we attended a breathtaking Shanghai Acrobatic Show. The show was even better than I imagined. Dinner was at a nice little restaurant that offered entertainment. It was next door to a place where you could purchase famous name purses. I didn’t see anything I liked.

September 1, 2007, this is Day 10 of our tour. We will travel from Shanghai to Suzhou and then back too Shanghai. After breakfast, travel by motor coach (1 ½ hours) for a day excursion to Suzhou, also known as "Venice of the Orient." I really enjoyed this boat ride. We were very close to the water and it was splashing in on us (in the back). We also visited the Garden of the Fishing Net Master. I loved the large bonsai trees, the coy ponds with lotus flowers, the lanterns and everything. It was very peaceful. Afterwards, we went on a tour of the Silk Spinning Factory. We learned about the worms, how the comforters are made (by very small but strong Chinese women). We tried pulling the silk like they did but couldn’t come close. I felt bad knowing how the worms were extracted from their pods but there isn’t much I can do about it. Terina and I shopped for a long time. She was looking for a silk robe for her mom and sister. I bought pillow cases, ties and other little souvenirs. Then we traveled by motor coach back to Shanghai for dinner.

September 2, 2007, this is Day 11 of our tour and we stayed in Shanghai today. After breakfast, we visited the emporium-lined Nanjing Road. Terina and I were chased by some more aggressive sales women, bought souvenirs, and rested (hid) with a cup of tea/coffee at Starbucks. Terina and I skipped the group lunch and ate at McDonalds. The double cheeseburger there tasted just like the one at home. After more than a week of Chinese food, it was a welcome change. We did a lot of shopping. This is where I purchased a tea cup (covered) that I thought my mom could use as a sugar bowl. I think she’ll like it. After lunch, we were able to enjoy a free afternoon to explore the city at our own pace, shop or simply relax. Terina was still not feeling well. Brittany, Franki and I went to the shopping mall. We had dinner at an Italian restaurant, looked for a tripod and a suite case. We were not successful. Then we used the tourist tunnel to get from the Bund to Pudong. This was the thing I wanted to do most and I was grateful I didn’t have to do it alone. I would have been scared. Then we went for Sushi, went shopping in a very large shopping building (as opposed to a mall), and went to the top of the Oriental Pearl Tower (the TV Tower). Dinner was on our own tonight mostly just for logistic reasons, we had the afternoon to wonder and explore.

September 3, 2007, this is Day 12 of our tour. We will be on flight 985 from Shanghai to Beijing to San Francisco total air time 15 hours and 40 minutes. Then flight 150 from San Francisco to Chicago which is another 4 hours and six minutes…all this today. Then I get to fly to Baltimore the following day. Oh the Joy of traveling. After breakfast, went to the Shanghai airport. Our flight was 2 hours late, which caused our connecting flight in Beijing to wait for us. We were rushed to the connecting flight and we were on our way. We departed Shanghai on Air China and flew 17 hours to San Fran airport with a same day arrival. (Flight time includes a change of planes in Beijing. Our luggage was NOT transferred automatically). We had to hustle through the airport security but we all managed to make it without incident.

September 4, 2007. In the taxi on my way from Terina’s to the airport, I lost my phone. Can you imagine? So when I arrived in Baltimore, I called mom from a payphone and then waited for my ride. Luckily it was already on its way so I didn’t have to wait more than an hour. While I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to China with my very good friend Terina, I was also happy to be home. Two weeks is just too long for me.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb