Animals that should be behind bars!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Summer Palace
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

A slow start today then off to the Beijing Zoo to see some Pandas. We had changed our plans prior to leaving Perth leaving out Chengdu (the best place to see them). Our intention was to visit them in Xi'an but we found out while in Xi'an that there weren't any Pandas at the park. Next choice Beijing Zoo. This place is really not very nice! The Pandas were wonderful to see and at least an attempt has been made to look after China's pride. They had a good sized area in which to roam. I'd read about the rest of the zoo and hoped it wasn't true. Sadly, it was all too true. We saw a brown bear being fed rubbish food by children. When they threw the empty packets in too, we couldn't stand it any longer and we told the parents so. As our friends later remarked it wouldn't make any difference. The other cages like the lions and tigers all had rubbish in them that was obviously days or weeks old. A real disgrace and quite interesting given it's not long since the Olympics. We didn't go to the Australian section, couldn't bare to see it. Should have though, we could have made an official complaint if it too was not looked after correctly. There were no animal keepers or security guards or staff to be seen our whole visit.

The Summer place was nice for a walk, although as it was only about 10 degree's and getting late we didn't get to see it all. I liked the 17arch stone bridge. Amazing tho think this whole place was basically built as a playground for the Emperor.

On the way home we got to experience Beijing subway peak hour. So many people at the stations that we couldn't get on and had to wait 2 whole minutes till the next one! We were only 2 feet from the door but the people were packed in so tight that there wasn't room for even one single person more..... until one girl just hurled herself forward into the sea of black hair and the doors slammed shut on her bum.

Needed a rest tonight from the Beijing crowds so we ate an expensive hotel buffet dinner ($21) that included free wine and beer! Most dinners with beer are costing under $8 each.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb