Wonder Wall


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
August 25th 2006
Published: August 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

One Sweaty TouristOne Sweaty TouristOne Sweaty Tourist

Honestly, that's a shadow, not a puddle of sweat.
After a mildly disappointing trip to the tourist infested Forbidden City, it was with a little trepidation that we boarded the bus for the three hour journey to the Great Wall of China.

We'd heard quite a few reports from people who had to battle their way through hordes of tourists and almost as many locals selling everything from t-shirts to coca-cola (of course).

The hour long detour to avoid a horrendous traffic jam on the way didn't do anything for our sense of anticipation.

But, thankfully, we were to be proved wrong. A million times over. It was stunning. Everything you could imagine from the deserted pictures in the guide book. After a brief spell where we ascended to the wall itself with the rest of our group from the hostel, we were virtually on our own for the whole 9km from Jinshanling to Simatai.

The only breaches to the peace occured inside most of the 32 towers when the refrain of "icee wataa, bee-a, coca" became familiar. Even on the Great Wall the world's favourite beverage was available. Can't imagine a beer would have been too good for you given the dehydration possibilities. We were eternally grateful for our platypus systems.

They were almost an essential item as the water seemed to be pouring straight back out of us. And we saw a few folk who might have been grateful of a bag of water strapped to their backs. One guy looked like he might need an ambulance, and a girl from our hostel gave up early on and went back down the hillside with some of the locals, headed for the cable car.

9km doesn't sound like a lot, but it's the ups and downs that get you. With the effort required to cover a relatively short distance, it's quite surprising that it was such a failure as a defensive shield. Maybe all the soldiers manning the towers were simply shattered from reaching them. Or maybe they were too busy selling coca-cola to the Mongol invaders.

We had around 4 hours to cover the section between the two small towns, and with a couple of hundred photographs to be taken and several well earned sweetie breaks, we needed all the time we could get.

There was a great feeling of satisfaction when we reached the bus to return to Beijing.
1334, 1335, 13361334, 1335, 13361334, 1335, 1336

We didn't count, but there were lots. And lots. And lots.
Although nobody seemed to keen to get onboard. We're not sure if that was a reluctance to leave, or just the knowledge that it was going to be a truly smelly 3 hour trip.

The promise of hot showers was enough to persuade everyone and an early night was had by all.

Needless to say we took it easy the following day. The highlight for Carolyn was an hour-long foot massage costing 38RMB - about 2 pounds 75p. It was raining by the time I was done so someone walked me back to the hostel with an umbrella. You don't get service like that at home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Taking A BreakTaking A Break
Taking A Break

A rare downhill section
It's not Hadrian's, it's mine!It's not Hadrian's, it's mine!
It's not Hadrian's, it's mine!

Carolyn strides ahead
Where's WallyWhere's Wally
Where's Wally

Can you spot him?
We climbed the wallWe climbed the wall
We climbed the wall

Didn't buy t-shirts though. Although it might have been a good move to have something to change into at the end.
Sponsored by CadburySponsored by Cadbury
Sponsored by Cadbury

It's the world's crumbliest, flakiest wall
Walled GardenWalled Garden
Walled Garden

Horticulturalists of the world, unite!
Chinese Proverb?Chinese Proverb?
Chinese Proverb?

Who knows...


25th August 2006

One word....
Incredible!!!
25th August 2006

We don't need no education...
Excellent photos of the wall. Did you see the blokes whose job is to walk up the hillsides picking up the litter? That truly is a tough job. Hope you're enjoying the Tsingtao and the deep fried chicken's feet - wonder why you don't get them in KFC...

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 23; qc: 117; dbt: 0.1544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb