Day 23 - Beijing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Chaoyang district
November 4th 2009
Published: November 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we started the day at the markets. Our primary goal was to buy jackets. Pepsi bought 2 jackets and I bought 1. The starting price on my jacket was 650 and I eventually got it for 150 (quite cheap as the quality was good).

Our next stop was Summer Palace which was amazing. I could not believe the size of the complex (290 acres). We had a busy schedule so I made Pepsi powerwalk. I wanted to get to buildings at the other side so we powerwalked there (30 mins), took about 5 photos and then powerwalked back. Check out the pics.....

We then caught a cab to Forbidden City and had a quick look around. There was an arguement in the crowd and then 2 ppl were escorted out of the complex by the Police. After going through the Forbidden City we tried to find our way to Tiananmen Square. We could see what we thought was the square on the other side of the road but had no idea how to cross the road as there were barriers on each side (we spent 20 mins trying to get to Tiananmen Square). We made it to the other side of the road after taking the underground stairs and that is where we saw a map. After reading the map we realised the whole area was Tiananmen Square so we were already there and had been there for 20 mins LOL!!!!!!! Anyway.....we made it to the other side and had a good look around at the flag and monument. A local was trying to sell me postcards - 1 packet for 30 Yuan (ripoff). He followed me for about 200 metres reducing the price along the way. His final offer was 5 packets for 20 Yuan (very different from 1 for 30). I finally bought 1 packet off him for 5 yuan then he finally left me alone. About 5 mins later I found 20 yuan on the ground :D

To finish the day off we hit the markets near our hotel and Pepsi needed some sneakers for the Great Wall climb the following day. In Beijing more bargaining is required than Thailand. The initial prices here are crazy and it takes so long to bargain. I was just looking at the shoe shop but ended up walking out with 2 paris of shoes after about 20 minutes of negotiations. Their initial price was 680 for one pair and 380 for the other pair. They told me their "special" price just for me of 420 and 320, any lower than that would be below cost.......I kept trying to walk away but they kept me there and eventually I paid 300 for both pairs which was a good price. Pepsi also got some shoes from 250 down to 100.

My next purchase was a business shirt. Their initial asking price was 650 yuan (ppl who pay this much are crazy). I offered them 30 and refused to make another offer. I started walking away and then she was yelling at me down the hall "50", I said no and kept walking and she made another offer of 40 which I accepted. It is crazy to think they were trying to sell it to me for $108 and then finally sold it for $7. There was a similar story with jeans, the american price is 1700 but my price was 950 (another special price just for me)!!!! About 15 mins later I ended up getting them for 200 after I was told 400 was almost cost price. Pepsi bought another pair of shoes for 80 but he gave them a 100 yuan note and they refused to give him change. He was then so sad for the rest of the night. If u ever go to China then bargain hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We finished the night with a Japanese mixed Hot Pot which was great.

Tomorrow we are hiking the Great Wall, unfortunately lunch was not included in our tour so we stopped off at Maccas to get some double cheeseburgers for lunch.

Ripoff Tally - 14. Pepsi didn't get his change at the shoe shop and a Taxi driver took the long route (the trip there was 31 and the trip home was 10).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb