Beijing-Day 2


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Chaoyang district
July 31st 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woke up really early after our early night so decided to go watch the flag raising ceremony a tianamen square at dawn. Looked at the map ad decided we could definitely walk it. After about an hour the sun was up and we werent even half way there so we gave up on that idea. Turns out we really should look at the scale on a map. Got to the forbidden city but it wasnt open yet so went to Jinshang park instead. i got very onfused because people kept screaming but jon told me it was some sort of 'conditioning' to do with martial arts. Loads of people kept staring at us though which wasnt so good. Walked up the steps which were all old and rocky. i loved it. At the top was a really beautiful temple with views of all over beijing except you couldnt see very far because of the smog. Walked down and saw lots of people doing tai-chi and other martial arts. it was really lovely to watch. Next up was Tianamen square where we saw the worlds biggest ever queue to see the Chairman Mao memorial hall. it literally didnt stop. Its a nice square but its full off people trying to sell you stuff so wasnt that enjoyable to walk round.
After this we headed to the Natural History museum whch i swear was miles away and it didnt help that we got lost on the way. But to get there we did have to cross the worlds greatest ever maths bridge!!!! when after a long time we did find the museum it said you had to reserve tickets 5 days early, but i asked very nicely and they gave me 2 tickets. it was pretty fun but there were children everywhere that kept shoving past us. plus i couldnt read what any ofthe displays were as it was either just in chinese or some kids were jumping on the english translation, that i did not like but i LOVED the dinosaur section they were amazing, oh and my hotdog on a stick that was delicious. Then we went to the pearl market which i was loving they have everything there but jon got attacked (jon says hassled not attacked) by some kids so we had to leave. on the way out suddenly jons nose was struck by delicious smells of foodso we followed it and sure enough he was right and we had a delicious lunch in a backstreet cafe. jon had a plate piled high wth pork and peppers and i had a giant bowl of soup. it was all so delicious. When we were filled up and about to burst we made a slow walk to the train station to buy tickets to qingdao which jon really wants to go to but they were sold out, so we will probably now try andhead there via a different route.
After the station i witnessed the worlds second greatest bridge it had an escalator to take you up and down and by this time i could barely walk so it was very welcomed. i was begging jon for us to get a taxi but he refused, my feet were about to fall off. We went to Ritan park so i could sit down and jon could stop listening to me moan. it was again a really beautiful park with a lovely pond but because i was being a grump i couldnt really enjoy it. eventually we started heading home stopping by the shop to buy dinner and a massive bottle of water. our hostel was right next to the workers stadium and as we walked past it we noticed there was an event on, when we asked more we found out it was the asian cup which apparently consisted of 3 british teams and beijing. 2 tickets were a tenner so decided to give it a go. Security made jon down all is water though which wa really funny as it was 5 litres and then took all MY food but jon could keep his. i was not happy.Then 2 english guys came up to us and told us bobby robson was dead and could they do an interview for british tv on reactions. i said i didnt know anything aboutfootball but jon said ok. he said a few words and then after they had left realised he had just whittered on about brian robson. ahahaahahaahahahaahahahaahahaaha hes such a doofus. watched the games it was wet ham 1 - beijing 0 and spurs 3 - hull 0. Hull had so many fans there they were amazing. i fell asleep for the second half of the game though. oops so jon took me home and we fell fast asleep again.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb