A Quick Stop in Kratie


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 31st 2012
Published: July 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.4881, 106.019

Not much to report on our time in Kratie. It is a small, dirty town with a market, a key attraction that every tourist goes to and very confusing information about transportation (this would describe every town we have been to in Cambodia).

Most of our time here was spent sweating as it is very hot. We wandered around the market and got some good photos as we played with some of the children. One little girl followed us so we kept chatting with her and wondering if her parents knew where she was or even cared. In many ways, we are all the same...of course her parents were very worried. Her dad came searching for her and was visibly relieved when he found her hanging with us a few booths down the market. Later when they had packed up for the day and the four of them (yes, that would be 4 people on one scooter) were riding by us on their motor scooter, they gleefully squealed 'hello!' as they headed off down the road.

The key attraction here are the endangered freshwater Irrawaddy dolphins of the Mekong River of which there are only about 75. With a stop at a Buddhist monastery where we watched the workers making new stupas and chatted with a few monks, our tuk-tuk driver took us out to see these dolphins as the sun was setting. It was a beautiful evening.

The following morning we were up early to catch a minibus to Sen Monorom. The ticket seller told us they fit 4 people on 3 seats so we could buy 3 seats and not be squished. Thankfully we did that as, by the time we were on the road, there were 28 of us in a 12-seat bus, all our baggage and a motor scooter with 5 people including 2 children hanging off the end of the vehicle. We were like that for a 5-hour drive.

Travel here is exhausting and always full of surprises!



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th January 2013

Thanks for Sharing, we can't wait to see what's next! xo
8th January 2013

Your pictures of children are truly amazing - love them!
8th January 2013

Hi to both of you and Happy New Year. It is a joy to read about your travels.
8th January 2013

Everywhere you go, the faces are so beautiful. Actually, the correct phrasing would be - in every country, you make faces look so beautiful.
8th January 2013

I love the composition of this photo. Love beautiful face against the blurred background. Your people shots are stunning!
9th January 2013

Happy New Year for both of you and save travels! I coundn?t wait to see the pictures of Angkor Wat. They are fantastic, as always. Too bad, that it was so crouded. There weren?t so many people 12 years ago. But I hope you?ve enjoyed it anyw
ay. Can?t wait for the next blog.
9th January 2013

It's sooo colourful!!
9th January 2013

Fantastic shot! Such a pretty girl.
9th January 2013

He knows something! LOL
10th January 2013

Thanks Birgitte and Oliver! Happy new year to you too. I hope you are enjoying the winter.

Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb