Countryside and temples


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 2nd 2016
Published: December 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning was a drive in our tuk tuk for one hour to Banteay Srei about 30 km from Siem Reap. The roadside houses were a mixture of basic and quite posh looking new build. Rice was the main crop, with coconuts and bananas. There were also local fruit and veg on the roadside stalls including jack fruit and a root looking like a giant sweet potato. Many of the roadside stalls had large cooking pots in the shape similar to a wok. I was intrigued to know what was cooking.

Banteay Srei was rather heaving with groups. It is a fairly small temple so they don't disperse around. The central area was also fenced off so it was impossible to see many of the details. From a distance the sandstone colour was attractive, but as a whole it's distinctiveness has been somewhat lost. It is a shame because I can see that it could be very impressive if it was quiet and you could get near the carvings.

Banteay Samre was very different. It was quiet with no tour groups. It was an excellent temple for exploring and finding new things round new corners. The inner spaces were particularly appealing and there was a dramatic entrance area with photograph worthy lions. Although I struggled to orient correctly with the guidebook it didn't matter because the atmosphere in the temple was enough by itself.

Opposite Banteay Samre we stopped for lunch at the restaurant. I chose a fish curry which was very good.

We rested at the hotel and swam in the pool before going out for the pre-half marathon dinner. This was at a hotel and involved a hotel buffet. There were also speeches which were inaudible and a very short section of dancing. I was disappointed that the dinner wasn't at a temple, as it has been in previous years, but never mind.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb