Floating forest


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 3rd 2016
Published: December 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning was focused on the water. Our tuk tuk driver, Mr Che, miraculously transformed into our driver. The road by the river is being rebuilt, but the car made it without problems. We transferred into a boat (for just the two of us) for a ride up to "floating village" or village on stilts. Boats of all kinds are the communication between the houses. The temple, school and the medical centre are on stilts. This way of life still seems to be successful, because the community looked busy and strong. Our boat dropped us to transfer to a small rowing boat for a ride through the mangroves. The birds were easy to hear, but difficult to see. I did spot a squirrel up in the trees. It was a relaxing and easy trip.

Mr Che told us that his parents were involved in fishing and lived in a floating village. There was an unfortunate incident in which Mr Che's bother (a toddler) drowned, and Mr Che's parents moved to Siem Reap.

We were close to Roluous, so visited two temples in the Roluous group. It was rather hot in the middle of the day, but the temples were quiet. The first temple was Bakong with a tall central tower. At the corners of the central temple are elephants, though they have unfortunately lost their trunks.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0864s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb