Hope for Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

In the 1970s, Khmer Rouge became the leader of the Cambodian government. He wanted the beginning of a new age dedicated to a peasant-oriented society. Khmer Rouge ordered the evacuation of Cambodia’s cities and forced these residents to labor without adequate food or rest. Those who weren't strong was unable to keep up, so they were often summarily executed. Khmer Rouge was looking at specific targets. These citizens, including doctors, teachers and those suspected of being educated were singled out for torture at the notorious Tuol Sleng prison. In four years, millions of Cambodians died in the Khmer Rouge’s ‘Killing Fields.’ There were so many factors that caused the Cambodian genocide. The main ones includes treason and betrayal. From all indications, the genocide was politically instigated. Cambodian leaders of the group Khmer Rouge wanted to return the country to a peasant state so they rounded up the intelligent and educated and brought them to what became known as the killing fields to wipe them out and leave only the uneducated behind.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb