THE BOMB- Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
October 7th 2013
Published: November 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia was a documentary exemplifying how birth is a large struggle in this southern region of Asia. In the video the differences of Cambodia to another nation ( i don't recall the other country they compared in the video) were showcased and the way labor was handled was quite surprising and unreal. In Cambodia there will be women who are being rushed to a hospital or doctor before birth, and they'd be traveling miles just to deliver a baby. The video showed how health is a problem here since hospitals aren't local, and there are a few far destined for people to get to. In the video it would show a family of 5 waiting in a hospital calm with their mom, getting ready for her to most likely successfully deliver another baby. Then it shoots back to a mother in Cambodia laying on her side on a bumpy journey on a bus to deliver her baby at a hospital without her children by her side, knowing that their is a large chance her baby is at risk, and possibly even her life at risk. Even in the hospital there were no anesthetics for the Cambodian woman, which made it even worse, as she delivered the baby sitting on a cheap hospital bench. I think I even remember the doctor's helpers putting the babies in small buckets after birth which was very professional. The film was quite intriguing, as it displayed an enormous health gap due to birth in Cambodia compared to other regions of the globe. Here are some comparisons. Cambodia's GDP is 1/35 of The United State's , Cambodia is at 38 billion and U.S. at 13 trillion. For GDP /Capita, Cambodia is 2,700$ and the U.S. is 15 times more at 43,700$. For health, the birth rate in Cambodia is 30 per every 1000 when U.S. is 14 for every 1000. the birth rate in Cambodia is twice the U.S., showing how even though the infant mortality rate is so high women in Cambodia continue to want to have children which is interesting. infant Mortality is at 73 children dying before age 1, which shows Cambodia is really not the healthiest nation in the world. Maternal mortality is 440 per 100,000 people too, which is 54 times more than the U.S. ! that's insane. Also, docters per 1,000 people is .16, it's a fraction compared to U.S.'s 2.2 per every 1,000.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb