Day 21 - Phnom Pehn


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
September 23rd 2010
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast we took a tuk tuk out to Tuol Sleng Genocide museum. This was known as S-21 during 'Kampuchea Democratic' when Khmer Rouge took over Cambodia between 1975-1979. The building was previously a high school, but was turned into a place for detention, interrogation, inhuman torture and killing. Walking around was interesting, but very sad.

We started with the mass detention rooms, these seemed bad with just 1 metal bed fram and an 'excretion' box. However when we moved to another part of the building there were tiny brick and wooden celling with chains in them. Some of them still had blood on the floor. Impossible to think that so many people were tortured and killed within a relatively recent amount of time. Even worse to think that still only 1 person has faced trial (and he only got 35 years of which only 19 have to be served due to previous imprisonment) for 10s of 1000s of deaths.

After this we got back in the Tuk Tuk and drove 10km south west to the Cheong Ek Killing Fields. Here we saw mass graves, 450 people burried in a tiny space. Also we saw a tree which children were battered against. In one of the mass graves the skeletons have no heads. At the killing fields there is a memorial with 17 tiers filled with the clothes, skulls and bones of those who died and have been excavated.

We then took the Tuk Tuk to Wat Phnom, where Phnom Pehn originated from, we walked around this. Next we went to the mall, however this was disappointing with very few shops, so we went to central market.

Next we packed. Around 7 we went for dinner & then went for a shake, watched some TV and then went to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb