Welcome to Cambodia, don't accidently get to Scambodia!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
January 5th 2010
Published: January 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post


Sorry for not writing you for so long.

After i wrote the last time i spent 3 more days in BKK with a nice american guy named David, and on Monday i left Thailand with a nice spanglish girl called Marta (born in spain, lives and works in London at one of the mosadot of the EU.

We watched the Angkor Watts together and also visited the war museum.
Yesterday she left Seamreap to go to BKK and back to London, so I left to Phnom Penh. Today i'm veging a bit cause I'm tired and it's raining hard, plus it's on the lakeside and it's rain season so i have big lake view, and i have nice fellers from Australia, Germany and US at my guest house (it's called "No problem"guesthouse, please don't be judgemental... 😊)so I like just being there.

Cambodia is so beautiful. I can't get over how beautiful it is. And the people here are really nice and polite, not just to tourist but towards eachother as well. On the bus to Phnom Penh the guide spoke first in Khmere and only then in English, and the driver picked up an old begger lady and on her stop the guide helped her down. I guess this is that make-up mentality. People here have to be extra-nice to each-other like Germans have to be nice to Jews or something. I actually had a long conversation about the German obligations and limits last night with the German guy here.

It's so great to meat ppl from all around the world. Even though i hung a lot with "rich americans"and europeans that are only here for a 2-4 weeks vacation and they earn in Euro, so they don't really get the shekel concept... Marta actually thought that it was fine that the took took driver raised the price at the second day of the tour and "forgot to tell us", and she even tipped him after doing that. I guess earning in Euro makes you a nicer person.

We actually met 2 Belgian guys and a british guy and it was a hillarious evening. Brit-boys sure have amazing sarcastic humor, so we got to laugh so hard that night, but since we all are either taken or lying and saying we're taken (an old habit. Can't get over it) - that all that was that night.

I am working out my system, they have their ways here of charging you for more money. The cambodians actually have a smart economy, using dollars here and giving you change in riel (their currancy), but they also accept Thai-Baht and in some places Pounds as well. They actually prefare Thai baht over their own currency, those foxes, and sometimes they even ask, when you give them riel "Do you have Thai baht? I am going this and that tommorrow and I need Thai baht". And offcourse, everyday everybody tells you a different dollar-riel-baht rate, so you have to be really smart, no matter what currancy you use.

By the way - Never, ever, no matter what - chane your money on the Cambodian border. Fucking 40% pinch and the guide is a part of this scam so he tells you that "There is no comission on the border" and that there are "No good banks in Cambodia". F***ing liar! Hey! I pay your sallery, A*s-H**e!

People here speak amazing english, especially in Siemreap, and they have guides in Angkor-Watts in Korean, Japanese, Russian and all languages, I guess. The kids that come to sell you things for a dollar speak lots of sentences and words in all languages (the Belgians said that one little girl addressed them in Flemish and just spoke to them until they took her photo and gave her a dollar.

The prices are actually higher than in Thailand (not the hotels, but the food and higiene stuff) even though they're supposed to be a poorer country. I guess it's because of the dollar system. Don't try this at home, kids! I actually found deodorants for 4$ here!!!!!! (F**K!!! That's more expensive than in the super-pharm!!!) Well, at least the rooms here are bigger and cheaper... I pay 5$ for 2 big beds and bathroom and they serve good food, asuming you're not expecting the Thai-quality, ofcorse.

Anyway, the service in Siem Reap is the best i have ever seen. In a LOCAL restaurant they refilled our cups with ice every few minutes, they hand bottles of water in the VIP bus and other stuff that i forgot. If in Israel you're a buddy (or "brother"), in Thailand you're in the Sir and Miss area (but with benefits like massage during facial treatments, i've gotta state) - In Siem Reap you're the king when you are a customer.

And they smile even more than in Thailand over there. Not only service. actual people. They're shaing the snacks with you on busses, and one lady took a knife out of her bag pilled the pomella i bought for me because i didn't have much luck with it, and basically that's the Siem Reap way. I have to see about Phnom Penh...

Anyway, talk to you soon, my loved ones,.
Noga.

p.s. If you comment on this message, make sure you press reply and not reply to all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 42; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb