Kep-ahoy and other happenings


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
April 24th 2008
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about how the last entry just ended - I literally left the appartment again two minutes after I got back!

Anyway so back to Rabbit Island...

Which was totally relaxing and beautiful - despite being accosted by an angry woman when we were still on the boat, demanding to be taken back to Kep, because she couldnt even afford to eat on the island, the coke was $2 (erm more like half that) and 'it's a rip off, you come here for a pardise island and they even charge you to stay on the beach!!! unbelievable!!!'

We were invited to join a group of Cambodians round the fire that night, by a western woman who scared us into saying yes (we found out she's actually a really nice person). That night, the group drank its way through 7 bottles of whisky, made possible only by their tradition of constantly refilling shotglasses, (don't try and hide your glass, they'll always find it eventually!). We all danced drunkenly to Khmer music, round a plastic table, until it started raining.

We returned to Kep the next day, where a Captain Jack Sparrow-a-like Cambodian picked us up in his tuktuk and invited us to his friend's birthday party that night, where there would be 'free alcohol and a buffet!! Oh, and of course, lots and lots of guests'. Well it wasn't what we expected, but a good evening nonetheless, as the Swiss bar owner was a laugh, and gave us champagne. We were invited by our tuktuk driver (Curly) and his friend to go to a 'good european club' and thought, why not? Well...that was one way to describe a slightly dodge karaoke bar, where we were whisked off to a room furnished with a sofa, table, old tv, and, creme de la creme, a mirror! Where we sang songs with lyrics such as 'Choo choo train, going down the tracks', and 'I'm a bug...', oh the hilarity. We got them to take us back to the bar once we'd finished our beer...

The bus home was interesting - we had to sit in the aisle, possibly not THE most uncomfortable way to travel, but must be close! Six hours later, numb bums all round, we were back.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb