Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 12th 2004
Published: December 12th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Cu Chi Tunnels VietnamCu Chi Tunnels VietnamCu Chi Tunnels Vietnam

These tunnels were used in the resistance against the US by the Cu Chi people. We made it the full 100m in the reconstructed tunnels made 25cm larger for fat Western tourists.
Cambodia has been interesting to say the least. Our first experience of Cambodia was the border. Apparently unless you have a guide to bribe the officier behind the desk to stamp your passport, you can not get out of Vietnam. We waited for a good couple of hours in the 40 plus heat, not impressed.
After a bumpy bus ride we made it to the capital, phnom penh.

The next day we headed off to the Killing Fields, a very sobering experience. Approximately 2 million cambodians were executed in the late 1970's by the Khmer Rouge led by Pol Pot.

We also visited the S-21 prison where thousands of people were held and tortured before their deaths. The pictures on display of these poor people left a lasting impression on us. We found it unbelievable that this went on only 25 years ago.

Next, we headed to the beaches of Cambodia, Sihanoukville. We spent three relaxing days there, chilling out in the sun and getting hassled by the local kids to buy their fruit.

Then it was on to Siem Reap, to check out the world famous temples of Angkor Wat, built between the 9th and 13th
Vietnam Wrecked TankVietnam Wrecked TankVietnam Wrecked Tank

This was left over from the Vietnam war.
centuries.
We were blown away by the architecture, the huge scale of the buildings and the intricate detail of the artwork, it was breathtaking.
Sadly our US$40 entry fee went straight into the pockets of the oil company that owns the temples. Which is a shame because the temples are in grave need of skilled reconstruction and protection.

The bus trip to Thailand from Cambodia was hardcore, you could literally chew the air it was so thick with dust. Once at the border we played the waiting game once again and eventually made it through. The two towns either side of the border survive largely on gambling and smuggling, there was no customs control, and the locals wandered back and forth across the border with huge trollies of consealed goods.

We are spending our last week in South East Asia, in Ko Chang, an island off the eastern coast of Thailand. Making the most of the sun before we hit the UK.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Killing Fields CambodiaKilling Fields Cambodia
Killing Fields Cambodia

These holes in the ground are the mass graves which held thousands of men women and children, the place had an eerie calm about it, it was suprisingly peaceful.
ScullsSculls
Sculls

The bones and clothing of many of the victims have been stored in a huge monument. Our tour guide lost both of his parents in 1979.
S-21 prison cambodiaS-21 prison cambodia
S-21 prison cambodia

Many of the victims photos were archived and displayed at the now derelict prison cells.
Sihanoukville beach, CambodiaSihanoukville beach, Cambodia
Sihanoukville beach, Cambodia

These ladies walked around all day hawking lobster. You didnt have to get out of your beach chair for anything, everything imaginable was being sold on the beach.
Just to lighten the moodJust to lighten the mood
Just to lighten the mood

Tim relaxes and utilises our favourite leaving gift, the eye rejuvenation kit complete with warming pack for those stiff muscles.niiice
Sunrise over Angkor watSunrise over Angkor wat
Sunrise over Angkor wat

4.30 wake up (tim was not impressed) but it was worth the effort.
Tim in the templesTim in the temples
Tim in the temples

it was incredible that after a thousand years this artwork was still in such great shape
cool gate way into ancient citycool gate way into ancient city
cool gate way into ancient city

there are many huge trees growing through or over the ancient ruins
seriously unsafe stairsseriously unsafe stairs
seriously unsafe stairs

Sam is the little yellow ant climbing the stairs. These sheer staircases were very nerve wracking to climb, and was quite a workout.
tim pampering himself yet againtim pampering himself yet again
tim pampering himself yet again

do you see a theme emerging?


14th December 2004

Your Trip
Thank you for sharing your photos and story about your trip to Cambodia. As an American, who lost friends in the Vietnam war, the photos (especially the "tank") allowed me to visit and to think of the deceased. I hope your next travel adventure is equally as exciting! Bev - Beverly

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb